Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking to get my Son into shooting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Also take a look at the Crickett rifles. They are made for kids so they fit good and they are single shot with automatic safeties. These are designed to be starter rifles. I started with a chipmunk (Much Better but no longer made) and it made a world of difference in my shooting. Plus you can get them in cool colors so if he like blue you can get him a blue stock. This is the gun I would push for.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - ...ade In The USA
Those Cricket rifles are pretty nice for smaller shooters. From what I've seen they shoot pretty well too. My youngest shot a Buckmark at 8-9. I wish I had got him one of those little rifles.He could shoot one of my 10-22's but the shorter rifle would have a little easier to handle for him.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Whatever you get him he will almost certainly move on from so I would not spend too much.
Not necessarily...my main reason for getting the Savage Arms; Stevens Model 62 was that it could have continued use by my boys in their teen ages and beyond. Although the rifle is designed for a youth the ergonomics of the rifle allow it to be used by teenagers and adults. My now 17 yr. old (my youngest) uses it to go squirrel hunting and I use it against snakes on my ranch.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #13

I bought my son his .22 rifle from Dicks. I would just take a drive and check them out in your local area, the ones in my area have sales on them from time to time.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #14

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Black syn stock - $114 delivered is hard to beat!

Crickett 22LR Blue Barrel $114.00

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #15

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Also take a look at the Crickett rifles. They are made for kids so they fit good and they are single shot with automatic safeties. These are designed to be starter rifles. I started with a chipmunk (Much Better but no longer made) and it made a world of difference in my shooting. Plus you can get them in cool colors so if he like blue you can get him a blue stock. This is the gun I would push for.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA
Agree!!! My son shoots a crickett 22 rifle. It fits him well and he loves it and I feel alot better about him with a gun that fits well.I started him when he was 5. One of my friends is an instructor and sat down and showed him the ropes of safe handling and safe shooting. He loves to shoot alot and we usually shoot around 500 or so rounds a week. My Grandfather recently gave him an old chipmunk 22 rifle. It has been sitting and needs to be refinished. I am really excited about it. It was beautiful youth model gun. I seen it years ago before he left it to die in his cabin for several years.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

First teach him these.

NRA Gun Safety Rules

and these

10 Commandments of Firearm Safety - Hunting Safety Tips - Hunting Safety Rules

Old 06-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #17

I know they are more expensive, and have to make to it some modifications but a Marlin 39 is a great fun to youngsters, my son is 4 years old 5 in september and he enjoys the lever action, I cut the stock and he shoots benchrest but I think I´m doing a good job geting him into shooting bussiness, because I have to drag him crying when we left the shooting range even when you can´t see a thing in the night

Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #18

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
AGREE^^^^^
My son knows these by heart.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #19

I have to recommend the Crickett as well. I just picked on up for my 3 year old. Haven't had him out to shoot yet but we will give it a try soon. He just turned 3 so it is a little on the big side for him, but I will help him with it.....not gonna just hand a gun to a 3 year old without me kneeling right beside him. I like that it is single shot, bolt action, and has a built in safety lock so the bolt can't be closed without unlocking it with a key.