Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking to get my Son into shooting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to get my Son into shooting.

Hi there. I have an 8 year old son who I would like to take shooting. Currently we own a 9mm S&W Sigma pistol, and a 12 gauge Remington 870. I know the 12 ga is to big for him to shoot, and I'm fairly certain the 9mm is also going to be too hard for him to hold on to. A friend suggested starting him off with a .22 rifle to get him used to shooting, and eventually moving up to a .22 handgun before letting him use the 9mm. I've gotten some great advice from people on these forums, so I would like to hear your opinions also. I am very confident that my son will treat shooting with all the respect and responsibility it deserves. I would also like some advice on what to get. Money is unfortunately and issue right now, so I'm looking to balance quality and price as much as possible. For no apparent reason, I prefer bolt action over lever action, but other then that I don't really know where to start.

Thanks a lot!
Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you are near a Dick's Sporting Goods store they have a .22 rifle on sale this week for $98. Others in stock vary in price up to $300. Or check your local Walmart or local gunshops they have decent prices also. You might also go with him to a gun safety class. Have him learn the proper techniques before heading to the range.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 AM   #3

Do you happen to know which rifle is on sale for $98 at Dicks? I have one that is not too far from my house, but I like to research things before I go to buy them. I don't see anything about guns on their website so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I have seen several .22 rifles at my local walmart for under $125. I think a bolt action is a great idea for a starter. It can be a little scary handing a kid a semi auto without any experience. My son loves my 10/22 and my 22 pistol. But he started with a bolt action. Actually he started with a bb gun.

I agree on the training class...unless you are a qualified teacher.

I don't know if you are a Christian or not. I don't push it on people. But if you are tight on cash, the Assemblies of God has a youth program called the Royal Rangers. I am an instructor. We do teach firearm safety, then bb gun, then 22 shooting. In that order.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 04-30-2010 at 03:22 AM.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5150 View Post
Do you happen to know which rifle is on sale for $98 at Dicks? I have one that is not too far from my house, but I like to research things before I go to buy them. I don't see anything about guns on their website so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it was the Marlin 795. I was looking at inexpensive .22's. I went with the Mossberg 702 at $129 because it had an 18" barrel. The Marlin had a 20". The Mossberg was $117 at WalMart but I had a gift card for Dick's which brought the Mossy under a $100 for me so I bought there.

There were a couple in the $150 to $170 range, (Remington 597 was one) and then a few Ruger 10/22's in the $200 and up range.

I wish Dick's and some of the other sports stores would show in stock guns and prices but they don't. I'm like you I like to get an idea of what's out there and at what prices before I go traipsing about.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 432 Times on 232 Posts

My son is 7 and he shoots my Sigma .357sig like it is nothing, he also shoots my 1911 and has no problems.
I started him on a .22 pistol then moved him up to a 9mm and so on.
He has his own .22 rifle and has shot the AK and the AR.
Get him out there and go shooting.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #7

Teach them young and teach them right!!

My sons started shooting at about 7 or 8. I started them with a Savage Arms: Stevens Model 62. Very well built rifle that's still sold through Wal*Mart. I believe the price now is like a 109 bucks.

BTW, I still own the rifle and use it on my ranch as a snake killer, etc.
You wouldn't want to know what price I paid for it new at Wal*Mart 12 years ago.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Also take a look at the Crickett rifles. They are made for kids so they fit good and they are single shot with automatic safeties. These are designed to be starter rifles. I started with a chipmunk (Much Better but no longer made) and it made a world of difference in my shooting. Plus you can get them in cool colors so if he like blue you can get him a blue stock. This is the gun I would push for.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA

Last edited by cpttango30; 04-30-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

The Savage would be a great first rifle. It's thin stock is much easier to get small hands around compared to like a 10/22.

If you want to go semi, check out the Marlin 60. You can't go wrong with that gun either.

My brother in law and I just bought my nephew his first .22 at Christmas. Didn't think we'd go this way when we started the search, but wound up buying a Smith AR 15-22. You can buy 4 or 5 Savages for what he paid for the S&W, but oh boy is that a fun gun. What really sold me on the gun is just how easy it is to break down and clean. To me for a new shooter, that's just as important as learning to shoot.

I wound up buying one as well shortly thereafter.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #10

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Started my son on a second hand .410 single shot. Only cost £30 about $50
Whatever you get him he will almost certainly move on from so I would not spend too much.