looking to buy a 10-22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > looking to buy a 10-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Default looking to buy a 10-22

I am looking to buy my first 10-22 use or new. What should I look for it is mainly going to be used for target / planking. Any advice will be helpful
Thanks guy and gales

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

The best thing about a 10/22 can also be the worst thing...lots of aftermarket parts and options. Many used guns will have had some amateur gunsmithing done to them. That's not always a bad thing as its a very simple platform. What should raise a red flag is "do it yourself" trigger smoothing, receiver drilling, etc. The barrel is another item to take a close look at, 10/22s are inexpensive plinkers and many are treated as such. High round counts in multi-generation hand me downs are not uncommon. If you are planning to customize then none of this really matters, you are just buying the receiver so as long as that is in good shape the rest of the rifle can be a rotted rust heap.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

You can buy a new 10/22 from Academy for just under $200. It's the basic rifle but will come with a scope mount. That's how I did it and I didn't have to worry about the previous owner doing anything to it.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #4

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I recommend the takedown model i love mine

Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1615 Times on 1106 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Stainless is worth the extra money. The stainless 10/22 is virtually a care free gun. Squirt some lubricant in it every 3 or 4 months, YMMV. If you live in an area with high humidity stainless is a much have. In this area it is hard to find a blued 10/22. Even Walmart carries the stainless 10/22.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I recommend the takedown model i love mine
Takedowns are nice but there is quite a price difference and you lose a ton of aftermarket support.

If I wanted a backpack rifle in .22 it would be at the top of my list. For general plinking and fooling around, I think the base model is a better buy and much cheaper.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #7

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava

Takedowns are nice but there is quite a price difference and you lose a ton of aftermarket support.

If I wanted a backpack rifle in .22 it would be at the top of my list. For general plinking and fooling around, I think the base model is a better buy and much cheaper.
All of the aftermarket parts of a regular 10/22 carbine can be used on a 10/22 takedown. Even the stocks it just requires a little modding to fit. the only thing thats diffrent is the lever that allows the barrel to takedown, i payed 367$ for mine i knew i was going to own it for the rest of my life so i didn't mind paying a little extra i thought it wasn't going to be as reliable and accurate as the regular carbine because of the barrel but theres a tension nut that clicks down snugly and it always holds zero, and it cycles as reliably an shoots accurately almost exactly the same as my stepdads carbine except hes jealous because mine breaks down and fits in a perfect kit

Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks all this is what I picked up last night. Now what to do to it any suggestions

forumrunner_20130911_151939.jpg  

Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Crazy advice, take it out and shoot it.

Seriously, mine was great out of the box. I've since put an ATI stock and a cheap red dot on it, and still love it, but you may find you like it as is. Or taking it out and seeing how it performs may give you an idea of where you'd like to make changes.

It's a great platform as-is. I think people modify them just because they can.

I would recommend picking up a couple of Ruger BX-25 magazines.

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default looking to buy a 10-22

my advice shoot it and have fun... Cliff