Looking to add .22 lever action - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking to add .22 lever action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
A new Marlim 39A may take a little time to work in and smooth out, and any good gunsmith can make the trigger much better on the Marlin also.

I think the Henry's are very nice rifles, but as I've said, it takes a fair amount of leverage to operate any lever action, I much prefer an all steel action over a lever and other parts held by a very lightweigh aluminum "Cage" inside the outter metal of the Henry.

I think the Henry will last a while, but may run into problems later in it's life.

The reason you see so many older rifles, shotguns and handguns that still work as good as the day they were made is because they were made of steel, not aluminum. In my opinion, Henrys are kind of like the very beautiful girl, they may look great on the outside, but more times then not, they are high maintenance on the inside.

Besides, the Marlin looks and handles like a real lever action, it has the solid feel of a rifle made to be around for generations.

Just my 2 cents, but years as a gunsmith tells me the marlin will outlive the henry. When you make a rifle as fine looking on the outside and with the price a henry sells for, something has to give, and it's on the inside, hidden by a nice looking shell on the outside.

John K
I agree with everything in this post.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I love my Henry LA. If I were to shoot it on a daily basis maybe I would've taken into consideration the vulnerability of it's internal components, but to be honest I didn't even research it that much. It was just a $200 or so investment and a gun that only gets shot a couple times a month as I live in the city.

If I were to have the good fortune of shooting it daily, I would definitely go for the most durable option. However, the Henry shot like a champ out of the box and is a great addition to lever action days out at the range.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What's this about vulnerable inner components? All the moving parts in the Henry are forged steel. There is one non-steel piece, the receiver cover, which is made of a thick and heavy alloy that will last many lifetimes.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Many rifles use aluminum or zamac 'frames' and receivers, and last many decades and are still shooting. Rimfires really do not need 'all-steel' construction. My Marlin Model 60 and 99M1, my J.C. Higgins Model 30, my Remington 552 - all with alloy receivers and still in very good shape.
I do expect my Henry to out last ME........

Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #35

JMOfartO:

I've been doing a lot of casual online research on 22 rifles the past few months as my interest in casual plinking has been renewed, and I think "which" rifle each of us prefers is akin to the "Ford vs Chevy" argument in vehicles.

For example there are apparently a bazillion and six very happy Ruger 10/22 owners out there, just plinking away at paper and small critters who are absolutely in love with their Rugers.

I have yet to find a Henry owner complaining about his/her Henry rifle.. The only issue that I see mentioned from time to time is the plated receiver, or some such, and even that is always generated from someone who loves another manufacturer (Generally Marlin 39's) and hasn't even shot one.

I'm thinking any Ruger 10/22, or Henry, plated receiver and all, will shoot more accurately, and live longer than you or I. (Well, me for certain, I'm 68).

So it boils down to personal preference, and that personal preference thing is undefinable and often makes absolutely no sense to an onlooker with a different perspective..

I love 22 rifles.. My little stash now includes: 1 1996 Marlin 39A.. It has the "rebounding hammer/cross block safety" often criticized by those who like "older" 39A's, but it's a darn "tack driver", and the rebounding hammer/cross block safety simply don't bother me. I love the 39A, and it "oozes" quality.. I like that.

I have 2 Browning SA22's.. One bought NIB, one bought used.. I love 'em both. Perfect plinkers w/factory sights, light and just fun shooters. They are accurate, and also have a quality "feel" about them.

I have two 1970 Marlin Model 39, Century Limiteds.. I really like 'em.. Sweet little carbines, basically "blinged up" Mounties as I understand it. The actions of both CL's ARE smoother than that of my 1996 39A, but I believe my 39A was seldom shot, and gets smoother the more I shoot it.

I bought a NIB Winchester 63 (Miroku) and it's a whole 'nother deal than the others.. Wood and metal are very nice, and it shoots like a dream. If I were comparing it using cars as an analogy I'd say it's the Cadillac (back when Cadillac WAS the measuring stick for American car quality) of the bunch..

It was surprisingly accurate right out of the box, and I really, really like it.

I even have a pristine Remington 552, recently inherited. As with my other rimfire rifles the 552 is capable of more accuracy than my old body (eyes/hands) can take advantage of.

IF all of my other rifles somehow left me I'd be well armed, (in a rimfire rifle) with my deceased FIL's Remington 552.. The Remington 552 will do the "job" as well as any of the others, altho it's not quite as "tack driving" accurate as the 39A or Winchester 63 it would certainly be capable of putting tree rats in the pot with no problem it it were necessary.

I considered the fine Browning lever action (BL22?), but when I saw the trigger leaving the stock with the lever when being cocked I just couldn't get around the fact that that didn't "seem" right.

I know it's a fine rifle, but I like my trigger stuck in the stock, not stuck in the lever.. Nothing wrong with it, mind you, I just didn't care for it.

No 10/22's in my stash.. No Henry's in my stash..

But, those excellent rifles are not in my stash because they lack function, accuracy, or overall quality, I just enjoy having something a bit different, and that's personal preference, not a put-down of the fine Ruger or Henry.

No offense to anybody (you can add my name to that list of folks whose butt you can whip), just expressing my opinion on why I have spent all of my play money on the choices I made in rim fire rifles, and why I have chosen to by-pass two in particular that are highly regarded by many others.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. I always love the gun I bought last, the most...

Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #36

Default Browning BL-22

Definately check out the Browning BL-22. Beautiful gun! It also comes in a couple of different grades. I bought mine when I was 16. I am now 55. NEVER a problem! One neat feature is, it shoots short, long, or long rifle ammo in ANY combination. Also very accurate.
Good luck in your search.
Marc

Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not understanding.... "plated receiver"...... not on a Henry. The standard receiver cover is PAINTED, and the Golden Boy's is a golden/brass-colored alloy.
The biggest hangup some have is the plastic front band & sight - but you can get a metal unit from Henry.

Good guns, but not all shooters take a liking to them.

Simply different from the other manufacturers. Yep, it's the old "Ford vs. Chevy Vs. Dodge" debate. Each is good in it's way.

Even Ruger had a lever-action version of the 10-22 at one time - I gues it didn't sell, and they discontinued it.