Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking to add .22 lever action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
From that statement methinks you've never seen a Henry shoot or handled a Henry or a new Marlin.
Ditto.
I own both the Marlin M39A (a 1952 model) and the Henry H001. I put the fine Marble's Tang Peep Sight on the Marlin, and it is superb.

BUT.... the Henry is just as accurate, more reliable (my Marlin has a quirky ejector) and is lighter & handier. The Henry gets a LOT more range time than the Marlin. I am 6'4" with the build of a mountain gorilla........ And I have NO problems handling the Henry. I ALMOST traded it to a buddy who really liked it..... very glad the deal fell through! But I would've gotten a Goldenboy to replace it.

Henry has a most excellent customer relations reputation too - if you do have a problem, Mr. Imperato (the company President) WILL make you satisfied. He E-mails back if you contact him, and has been a presence on some gun forums.
The company really goes all out to keep it's customers happy!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #22
jyo

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 22 leverguns

My vote is for the Browning Bl-22---lightweight, slim, accurate and a very short lever throw---costs a little more, but thats life---the good stuff is always more!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #23

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
My vote is for the Browning Bl-22---lightweight, slim, accurate and a very short lever throw---costs a little more, but thats life---the good stuff is always more!
That short lever throw is what I don't like about it.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #24

JMOfartO:

Well, being the "newbie" here, I don't want to step on any toes, but here's my thinking on why I passed on the excellent Henry lever action rimfire rifles when I started looking around for a place to throw my money away on a casual rimfire plinker.

First I did reasonable research online on the various firearm forums for recommendations (auto/pump/lever) and there seems to be general agreement that in the semi's the Ruger 10/22 is the 22 cal rifle for everybody.

And whatever aspect of the Ruger 10/22 you don't care for can be changed out..

I don't doubt the 10/22 is a fine 22cal rifle (and I love Ruger pistols in particular), but it has no "soul", or whatever that special "something" is that holds appeal for me.

I bought a new Browning SA22 (ATD)..

My wife was so taken with the beauty of the SA22 that she has basically "taken" it from me. But that's ok.. She and I have been married for over 43 years, and when I see a new gun I can't live without she generally finances it for me.

But, before I lost my new SA22 to my bride, I shot it enough to know that it's a wonderful 22cal rifle, and I should think a perfect "tree rat" or small critter gun for those who hunt. (I don't).

My 1st SA22 was surprisingly accurate and a pleasure to shoot.. So, I shopped around and lucked up on a used SA22, for ME, which isn't as pretty, but shots just as well and accurately as my new one did.

In my research for the "perfect" autoloader in 22cal. I kept running up on posts regarding the "perfect" lever action 22... And in that line of 22's the Marlin 39A seemed to have a loyal, and large following..

My Buddy said to try a Henry, and I checked them out and they are beautiful to behold, and inexpensive to purchase, but it seems there are a zillion and three out there, as every gun store I visited had several on the rack for sale.

Again, for me, (and no offense to satisfied Henry owners), I just never could get excited about the Henry, even knowing it has a reputation for butter smooth action, excellent accuracy, and a top notch warranty, backed by top notch folks.

I know the materials that make up the Henry will last a long, long time, but I just hate the thought of the plated receiver and plastic barrel bands, etc..

I'm an old fart, and my hands aren't so steady anymore, and my eyes aren't the sharpest, so any reasonably accurate 22cal rifle is capable of shooting smaller groups in the X ring than I am, at my age, marksman enough to take advantage of.

Still...

A reputation for unusual accuracy is a neat thing, and I kept reading the accuracy of the Marlin 39A is very accurate for a non-target 22 cal rifle.

So, I found a like new 1996 39A at a gun show and brought it home...

It IS amazingly accurate...

Of course the 39A is heavy, has a 24", barrel both of which I think contribute to it's inherent accuracy, but the price of admission for a 39A is not unreasonable considering the smile it will bring to the face of it's shooter come plinking time..

I am so pleased with my 39A that I wanted another, just fer, and last weekend my wife and I drove over to Boaz, Al. to pick up a very nice Marlin Model 39 (Century Limited) I found on GunBroker.
The Century Limited is basically, as I understand it, a "gussied up", or "blinged up" Mountie, and it's shorter and lighter than my full size 39A but still is surprisingly accurate.

I like it..

I don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with either the Ruger 10/22, OR the Henry rimfire rifles...

I just think some folks drive Fords, and some folks drive Chevy's, and, for themselves, both are driving the right vehicle..

Sorry for rambling, but it's about the only thing I do well anymore..

Best Wishes, and no offense to anyone. Just personal observation..

Jesse

Last edited by PX15; 02-01-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just get BOTH - Henry and Marlin!

Or if you get the itch for a really different 'lever action', try a British BSA MkII International Martini - FOURTEEN pounds of SINGLE SHOT twentytwo rifle! Gotta love it..... but I sure DON'T tote it around the squirrel woods......

I love ALL guns..... I just have too danged small a wallet......

Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #26

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The Henry Golden Boy doesn't have a plastic barrel band or front sight.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #27

Nothing but good things to say about Henrys.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, Henry WILL supply a metal band and sight for the asking. Myself, plastic works fine.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
The Henry Golden Boy doesn't have a plastic barrel band or front sight.

Hi Hawg:

Ok..

I stand corrected..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #30

A new Marlim 39A may take a little time to work in and smooth out, and any good gunsmith can make the trigger much better on the Marlin also.

I think the Henry's are very nice rifles, but as I've said, it takes a fair amount of leverage to operate any lever action, I much prefer an all steel action over a lever and other parts held by a very lightweigh aluminum "Cage" inside the outter metal of the Henry.

I think the Henry will last a while, but may run into problems later in it's life.

The reason you see so many older rifles, shotguns and handguns that still work as good as the day they were made is because they were made of steel, not aluminum. In my opinion, Henrys are kind of like the very beautiful girl, they may look great on the outside, but more times then not, they are high maintenance on the inside.

Besides, the Marlin looks and handles like a real lever action, it has the solid feel of a rifle made to be around for generations.

Just my 2 cents, but years as a gunsmith tells me the marlin will outlive the henry. When you make a rifle as fine looking on the outside and with the price a henry sells for, something has to give, and it's on the inside, hidden by a nice looking shell on the outside.

John K