Looking to add .22 lever action
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking to add .22 lever action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Looking to add .22 lever action

I am considering adding a .22 lever action to my .22 collection. I have looked at the Henry, but it seems really small....like a youth gun. I have not held or seen the Marlin 39a in person, but I am a big Marlin fan. Recommendations on either of these two?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

The Henry is a good rifle. The 39A is a GREAT rifle. Honest, machined steel, walnut. My grandchildren are shooting the 39A that my Mom bought my Dad before I was born. Acurate, reliable, solid. Pricy? Yes. Heavy? Uh-huh. Last longer than you will? Yep.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have a post war 39A carbine, and a new model 39AS. I think they are the best overall .22's avail.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
I am considering adding a .22 lever action to my .22 collection. I have looked at the Henry, but it seems really small....like a youth gun. I have not held or seen the Marlin 39a in person, but I am a big Marlin fan. Recommendations on either of these two?
You most likely WERE looking at a Henry youth rifle-
Take a look at the Golden Boy
Winchester 9422 are fine but overpriced IMO
If you have the funds go Marlin

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My Golden Boy if I remember right without getting it out and measuring has a 14 1/4" pull. I had a Marlin 39A and wish I had it back but I wouldn't give up my Henry for it.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #6

The Henry is a great rifle, as is the Marlin, but also give the Browning lever action rifle a good look. They are very accurate and have about the nicest bluing and wood of any rifle produced.

Any of the three will be an excellent rifle.

If you can get to a gunshop that carries all three, check each out for the way they feel and fit.
The one that fits the best, you will most likely shoot the best.

John K

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #7

Default Henry GB

After some intense research, I picked up a Henry Golden Boy .22LR this past weekend. I knew that both the Henry and the Marlin 39A have stellar reputations. I had a chance to compare both side-by-side, new. A couple things I didn't like about the Marlin -- the action was rough and the trigger pull was sloppy. Also, this dorky rebounding hammer thing doesn't make any sense and when you pull the trigger, you can feel the rebounding. I didn't like it. The Golden Boy, on the other hand was absolutely beautiful. The action is smooth as butter and the trigger pull was short and crisp. Yes, people will say the 39A is better because the action is all steel, but that doesn't necessarily float my boat. Smoothness, looks and how it came to the shoulder are what drove me -- without a doubt -- to the Henry Golden Boy. YMMV.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You'll love that Henry. I got the H001T Frontier Model a few years ago. It just feels perfect in my hands and is a great shooter, too.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Don`t know where you seen a Marlin 39 that was rough or a Henery that was smooth. Nothing wrong with a Henery, but the Marlin is a much better gun. I have had guys tell me how good their Henery shoot, but have never seen one out shoot a Marlin, ever.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Don`t know where you seen a Marlin 39 that was rough or a Henery that was smooth. Nothing wrong with a Henery, but the Marlin is a much better gun. I have had guys tell me how good their Henery shoot, but have never seen one out shoot a Marlin, ever.
My hands-on experience with both guns was at the local Gander Mountain and at a local gun show. In all, I handled three Marlin 39A's and three Henry Golden Boys. In all three cases, the guns were new manufacture and in all three cases the Marlin was noticeably rougher cocking than the Henry. And the trigger pull on all three examples was what I described. Hey, that's just three out of thousands, but as I said, YMMV -- Your Mileage May Vary.

Now, I wouldn't doubt that older models of the 39A might be silky smooth, but I didn't see any of those.