Looked at youth guns yestereday... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looked at youth guns yestereday...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I bought my daughter a Thompson Center hot shot love it had Rossi first sold it didn't shoot very good

__________________
Todd33 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,944
Liked 7136 Times on 4295 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd33 View Post
I bought my daughter a Thompson Center hot shot love it had Rossi first sold it didn't shoot very good
Please excuse my lack of knowledge and be patient with me. Is that a semi-auto?
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I bought my daughter the Remington youth 514 single shot for her birthday. This rifle will give your child some added length if they are too tall for the cricket, but unable to handle the size of a normal 22. I picked it up at Academy on sale after Christmas for $98. It's been a great little rifle, plus I can always find ammo since it accepts 22 shorts.

__________________
Haus is offline  
2manyhobbies Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

The T/C hotshot is a single shot looks just like a encore you can also adjust stock length by adding extension

__________________
Todd33 is offline  
2manyhobbies Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Battle Creek,Mi
Posts: 207
Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
As always, I'm looking to learn something new. Why would a lever action not be a good first gun? You can only shoot one round then you have to "lever" it. Just like a bolt action. I think maybe a bolt action might be easier for a child to work, I don't know. I have shot my Dad's Marlin bolt action and I suppose, in time, I would get good at working the bolt but I always find it to be 'choppy' and not very smooth.

But I have noticed no one really buys their child a lever action as a first rifle so there must be a reason why.
This is just my opinion but the SS bolt action, you have to reload after every single shot, the safety engages, so you get one shot one try, have to make it count, point the gun in a safe direction, reload, work the safety an hour later you all have had a heap of fun, used up your box of 50..

Lever action, shoot, rack, shot, rack, shoot rack on till MT no safety other than half cock.... So if you miss just keep shooting, lots of fun but I can burn 50 rounds in 10 minutes or less in mine....

So the SS bolt tends to is to teach a discipline ("Aim Small Miss Small" The Patriot) that will last the kid the rest of their life, the lever action is for later once they have proven them self, and are ready for an upgrade...
__________________

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-28-2013 at 04:10 PM.
2manyhobbies is offline  
big shrek Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,944
Liked 7136 Times on 4295 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
This is just my opinion but the SS bolt action, you have to reload after every single shot, the safety engages, so you get one shot one try, have to make it count, point the gun in a safe direction, reload, work the safety an hour later you all have had a heap of fun, used up your box of 50..

Lever action, shoot, rack, shot, rack, shoot rack on till MT no safety other than half cock.... So if you miss just keep shooting, lots of fun but I can burn 50 rounds in 10 minutes or less in mine....

So the SS bolt tends to is to teach a discipline ("Aim Small Miss Small" The Patriot) that will last the kid the rest of their life, the lever action is for later once they have proven them self, and are ready for an upgrade...

Thank you so much. Makes perfect sense. I didn't realize that about some bolt actions. I have shot my Dad's bolt action Marlin rifle and I was able to load ten/twelve rounds, maybe (?) in the tube mag. So I didn't realize the bolt action you were talking about was load, shoot, load, shoot.

I have so much to learn.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
2manyhobbies Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Steel_Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochise County,AZ
Posts: 1,744
Liked 972 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
As always, I'm looking to learn something new. Why would a lever action not be a good first gun? You can only shoot one round then you have to "lever" it. Just like a bolt action. I think maybe a bolt action might be easier for a child to work, I don't know. I have shot my Dad's Marlin bolt action and I suppose, in time, I would get good at working the bolt but I always find it to be 'choppy' and not very smooth.

But I have noticed no one really buys their child a lever action as a first rifle so there must be a reason why.
Winds,

My focus to teaching the first time shooter (father of 6) is too ensure the rifle fits the child properly. That safety shape, form are taught at the same time hitting the target is. First lessons are always from the bench supported. Think of the pictures where the little kids are struggling to shoot an oversize 22 rifle.

A bolt action 22 rifle, provides for a better intial fit, to shoot from the bench. Plus a bolt action forces a controlled routine of loading and removing the spent cartridge.

Kids like thier fathers enjoy shooting rapid fire so, the 22 semi autos are for later, lever guns are for later also. Another issue with lever guns is the cycling action itself for the smaller hands, that barrel can be dancing left right up and down as they manipulate the lever.

FWIW...
__________________
'Steel cuts flesh / steel cuts bone / steel does not cut steel.'

Become steel or get cut.
Steel_Talon is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Battle Creek,Mi
Posts: 207
Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

So far on the SS kids gun list we have..
Stoger
Cricket
Remington
TC
Savage
Did I miss any?

__________________
2manyhobbies is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,944
Liked 7136 Times on 4295 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Winds,

My focus to teaching the first time shooter (father of 6) is too ensure the rifle fits the child properly. That safety shape, form are taught at the same time hitting the target is. First lessons are always from the bench supported. Think of the pictures where the little kids are struggling to shoot an oversize 22 rifle.

A bolt action 22 rifle, provides for a better intial fit, to shoot from the bench. Plus a bolt action forces a controlled routine of loading and removing the spent cartridge.

Kids like thier fathers enjoy shooting rapid fire so, the 22 semi autos are for later, lever guns are for later also. Another issue with lever guns is the cycling action itself for the smaller hands, that barrel can be dancing left right up and down as they manipulate the lever.

FWIW...

Thanks. ............
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Steel_Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochise County,AZ
Posts: 1,744
Liked 972 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
So far on the SS kids gun list we have..
Stoger
Cricket
Remington
TC
Savage
Did I miss any?
Another thing to point out that I like about the Cricket is its peep sight. I prefer the peep sight to instruct new young shooters. They pick up on the sighting dynamics very quickly.

Ohh and Kudo's to you for being a great PawPaw! As old as I am.. I still cherish the memories and times with the most important male figure in my life, My Grandfather.
__________________
'Steel cuts flesh / steel cuts bone / steel does not cut steel.'

Become steel or get cut.
Steel_Talon is offline  
2manyhobbies Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Have you ever looked at a poll Shihan The Club House 4 04-10-2012 06:05 AM
Lee reloading equipment, why is it looked down on? spittinfire Ammunition & Reloading 43 04-28-2010 04:33 PM
Youth .30-30 Justen.223 General Rifle Discussion 2 10-16-2009 02:34 AM
Remington 870 Youth Help northhike General Shotgun Discussion 3 09-17-2009 05:04 AM