Looked at youth guns yestereday...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looked at youth guns yestereday...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default Looked at youth guns yestereday...

Cricket and Stoger so far... I have a grandkid on the way and it doesn't hurt to shop

Looked at a break open, but.....

At present I am leaning for safety sake to a single shot bolt action to teach safety, and to make that one shot count.

So from the BTDT crew what have you looked at, bought, why, and how did your kid like it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Kid? I looked for a pink Crickett for myself and ended up with the adult walnut-stocked one!

OK, it was for a project and I thought they'd have a pink one laying around for half price. I had to wait many months for a run of .22 Mag actions to be produced which is all I really wanted. Very simple gun. OK quality. Reminds me a little of one of the old Winchester Boy's rifles of yesteryear...

Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Go with a youth model Henry. Beautiful gun and definately more of a keepsake than the other stuff. Still a lot of manipulation goes into running the lever action for the safety teaching.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Got my kids a Rossi combo a few years back it has been a good gun they have a good time shooting the 22 and it's very accurate and my oldest boy squirrel hunts with the 410 and u can pick them up very cheep

Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Cricket vote here..

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Go with a youth model Henry. Beautiful gun and definately more of a keepsake than the other stuff. Still a lot of manipulation goes into running the lever action for the safety teaching.
I vote for the Henry lever repeater Youth model. I'd like one myself.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Looked at youth guns yestereday...

Check ot the youth guns from Savage & Marlin, nicely made firearms. My preference is the Savage with the accu trigger. Cliff

Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have heard of the youth Henry lever but have decided that a repeater for a first gun is off the list.
As a kid I learned on an old SS bolt action .22 and it taught me discipline, safety, and to make my one shot count, that and a box of 50 lasted a very long time.

Up to that point all I knew abut was the cricket n the Henry, two different gun shops two different guns, Stoger and the Cricket.
The Cricket actually had a mediocre scope factory mounted in the $200. ball park, the Stoger was pocket change low at $159.

My kids had no such options but I still have the Savage .410 / .22 over under SS I bought them to learn on. Good gun but the action is a tad long for a kid, I was at one point tempted to have the stock cut down, but fortunately decided against it.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have heard of the youth Henry lever but have decided that a repeater for a first gun is off the list.
As a kid I learned on an old SS bolt action .22 and it taught me discipline, safety, and to make my one shot count, that and a box of 50 lasted a very long time.

Up to that point all I knew abut was the cricket n the Henry, two different gun shops two different guns, Stoger and the Cricket.
The Cricket actually had a mediocre scope factory mounted in the $200. ball park, the Stoger was pocket change low at $159.

My kids had no such options but I still have the Savage .410 / .22 over under SS I bought them to learn on. Good gun but the action is a tad long for a kid, I was at one point tempted to have the stock cut down, but fortunately decided against it.

Savage and Marlin have youth guns too... Cool!! I definitely appreciate the feed back and ideas! I mean the first gun although it does not need to be a hi / low dollar gun, it does need to be reliable, accurate and fun to shoot while teaching them good handling practices and safety!

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
As always, I'm looking to learn something new. Why would a lever action not be a good first gun? You can only shoot one round then you have to "lever" it. Just like a bolt action. I think maybe a bolt action might be easier for a child to work, I don't know. I have shot my Dad's Marlin bolt action and I suppose, in time, I would get good at working the bolt but I always find it to be 'choppy' and not very smooth.

But I have noticed no one really buys their child a lever action as a first rifle so there must be a reason why.