Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Looked at youth guns yestereday... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/looked-youth-guns-yestereday-87470/)

2manyhobbies 03-26-2013 03:43 PM

Looked at youth guns yestereday...

Cricket and Stoger so far... I have a grandkid on the way and it doesn't hurt to shop :D

Looked at a break open, but.....:rolleyes:

At present I am leaning for safety sake to a single shot bolt action to teach safety, and to make that one shot count.;)

So from the BTDT crew what have you looked at, bought, why, and how did your kid like it:confused:

MattShlock 03-26-2013 03:56 PM

Kid? I looked for a pink Crickett for myself and ended up with the adult walnut-stocked one!

OK, it was for a project and I thought they'd have a pink one laying around for half price. I had to wait many months for a run of .22 Mag actions to be produced which is all I really wanted. Very simple gun. OK quality. Reminds me a little of one of the old Winchester Boy's rifles of yesteryear...

aandabooks 03-26-2013 04:50 PM

Go with a youth model Henry. Beautiful gun and definately more of a keepsake than the other stuff. Still a lot of manipulation goes into running the lever action for the safety teaching.

Barney1023 03-26-2013 05:49 PM

Got my kids a Rossi combo a few years back it has been a good gun they have a good time shooting the 22 and it's very accurate and my oldest boy squirrel hunts with the 410 and u can pick them up very cheep

Steel_Talon 03-26-2013 06:00 PM

Cricket vote here..

winds-of-change 03-27-2013 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1191314)
Go with a youth model Henry. Beautiful gun and definately more of a keepsake than the other stuff. Still a lot of manipulation goes into running the lever action for the safety teaching.

I vote for the Henry lever repeater Youth model. I'd like one myself. :cool:

mrt8110 03-27-2013 12:18 PM

Looked at youth guns yestereday...

Check ot the youth guns from Savage & Marlin, nicely made firearms. My preference is the Savage with the accu trigger.:) Cliff

2manyhobbies 03-27-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1192247)

I have heard of the youth Henry lever but have decided that a repeater for a first gun is off the list.
As a kid I learned on an old SS bolt action .22 and it taught me discipline, safety, and to make my one shot count, that and a box of 50 lasted a very long time.:D

Up to that point all I knew abut was the cricket n the Henry, two different gun shops two different guns, Stoger and the Cricket.
The Cricket actually had a mediocre scope factory mounted in the $200. ball park, the Stoger was pocket change low at $159.

My kids had no such options but I still have the Savage .410 / .22 over under SS I bought them to learn on. Good gun but the action is a tad long for a kid, I was at one point tempted to have the stock cut down, but fortunately decided against it.

2manyhobbies 03-27-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1192247)

I have heard of the youth Henry lever but have decided that a repeater for a first gun is off the list.
As a kid I learned on an old SS bolt action .22 and it taught me discipline, safety, and to make my one shot count, that and a box of 50 lasted a very long time.:D

Up to that point all I knew abut was the cricket n the Henry, two different gun shops two different guns, Stoger and the Cricket.
The Cricket actually had a mediocre scope factory mounted in the $200. ball park, the Stoger was pocket change low at $159.

My kids had no such options but I still have the Savage .410 / .22 over under SS I bought them to learn on. Good gun but the action is a tad long for a kid, I was at one point tempted to have the stock cut down, but fortunately decided against it.

Savage and Marlin have youth guns too... Cool!! I definitely appreciate the feed back and ideas! I mean the first gun although it does not need to be a hi / low dollar gun, it does need to be reliable, accurate and fun to shoot while teaching them good handling practices and safety!:cool:

winds-of-change 03-27-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies (Post 1192597)

As always, I'm looking to learn something new. Why would a lever action not be a good first gun? You can only shoot one round then you have to "lever" it. Just like a bolt action. I think maybe a bolt action might be easier for a child to work, I don't know. I have shot my Dad's Marlin bolt action and I suppose, in time, I would get good at working the bolt but I always find it to be 'choppy' and not very smooth.

But I have noticed no one really buys their child a lever action as a first rifle so there must be a reason why.