Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Long range 22 scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
If you serious about this get a long range mount with about 20moa of inclination(?) built into it. Most mildot Scopes don't have enough adjustment to handle this amount of drop.

Also the highest velocity ammo you can find will aid you. The bullet becomes unstable as it drops into the subsonic range and starts to yaw. Maybe something like the aquilla interceptor highspeeds would give you enough velocity to keep it supersonic at this range.
Or find an accurate subsonic load. The bullet will begin to tumble when it transitions between supersonic and subsonic. Starting with a subsonic will reduce the tumble effect, but you will need more holdover to account for the lack of velocity.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

Liked 178 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post

Or find an accurate subsonic load. The bullet will begin to tumble when it transitions between supersonic and subsonic. Starting with a subsonic will reduce the tumble effect, but you will need more holdover to account for the lack of velocity.
Good reasoning but starting subsonic the bullet probably won't be able to make the 200 yd range. Holdover would be like shooting artillery. Not saying its impossible to lob the lead that far, just that with something like 6' of holdover its no longer rifle shooting.

Even with the fastest initial velocity a 22 is pretty marginal at this range according to my ballistics calculator. Ballistics Coefficent determines how much a bullet will drop at any range and velocity combo. Just can't get a better B.C. without increasing bullet length. This increases the weight and decreases the initial velocity. Air friction is a pain in the ass!

Ideally you would start with a ~36 grain copper solid with a good streamlined secant profile , a boat tail base and a poly point the get the highest B.C. and longest bullet possible for the weight. Think of a profile like the hornady a-max. There is a good reason that long range bullets are all very long compared to caliber diameter. Copper has a lower density so longer bullet for the same weight. About 1650 fps initial velocity, are required to stay supersonic past 200 yards, according to my calculations. Your should just be able to make this velocity with a 22 LR case and the fastest powder charged to the limit or a little bit compressed. As long as the bullet doesn't become so long it won't feed through your magazines. Wait that's the reason all us long range shooters feed single rounds by hand.

Too bad no one makes a 22 LR with this type of bullet as a factory round. Maybe someone will since Callie is going lead free... Be poetic justice if the libretards get us to design a better bullet ...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-30-2013 at 07:13 PM.
bamashooter68 Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im already shooting at this range. I use wolf team match mostly which is a standard velocity load. I make consistent hits on a 10" table saw blade. Im looking to shrink my target size. The scope i have now is just a cheap one from amazon but it goes to 24x. I hate the parallex adjustment mostly. Thats why im looking to up grade my scope along with other components. Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_man2003 View Post
Im already shooting at this range. I use wolf team match mostly which is a standard velocity load. I make consistent hits on a 10" table saw blade. Im looking to shrink my target size. The scope i have now is just a cheap one from amazon but it goes to 24x. I hate the parallex adjustment mostly. Thats why im looking to up grade my scope along with other components. Thanks
Shrinking the groupsize will be much easier with higher velocity. At standard velocity you are just breaking subsonic at this range. That is the reason for the above explanation. The supersonic/subsonic induced yaw is the probable cause of your groupsize issue. 12 years as an army sniperschool instructor does give me a little insight into the problem.

Not trying to be an ass about it, just trying to explain the problem that I see and a possible solution.

The scope you have should be capable of M.O.A. accurate shots already. Parallax is a problem but becomes less noticeable with consistent head position and good cheek weld. 200 yard shots with a 223 are done all day long with only 4x magnifiers and training quality rifles. Many recruits manage 1-2" group size at this range with a little practice. Same diameter bullet, higher weight, better velocity and better B.C.

Also i spent an hour with the ballistics calculator looking at 22 lr performance. This is my reasoning for pinning the groupsize problem on velocity induced bullet yaw, the most likely culprit. Again just trying to help.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-30-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #15

I could be wrong, but i believe that the wolf and other match type ammo is never super sonic. I use this ammo because it groups best for me at 100 yards. Like i said i dont think it breaks the sound barrier. I have shot ammo such as cci mini mags and while they group well at 50 yards they dont shoot worth a darn at 100. My understanding was that the accuracy was affected when the bullet came back through the sound barrier. If im wrong please forgive me. Thanks

Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Loaned a 6-24x44 BSA Platinum scope to a gent to try his hand at 200 yd shooting with his very accurate 22LR. As we suspected, not enough elevation adjustment in my Platinum scope for shooting a 200 yd target with a 22LR.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:02 AM   #17

Quote:
I could be wrong, but i believe that the wolf and other match type ammo is never super sonic. I use this ammo because it groups best for me at 100 yards. Like i said i dont think it breaks the sound barrier. I have shot ammo such as cci mini mags and while they group well at 50 yards they dont shoot worth a darn at 100. My understanding was that the accuracy was affected when the bullet came back through the sound barrier. If im wrong please forgive me. Thanks
Then I definitely own you an apology. I was looking at and older box of wolf NON-match that lists velocity as 1225 fps, standard velocity. I wrongly assumed that this was the same as the ammo that you were using. I apologies for any misunderstanding this has caused. You are right in that the ammo you are shooting IS subsonic and not affected by the yaw I previously stated.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:08 AM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1660 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

http://swfa.com/BSA-6-18x40-Sweet-22-Riflescope-P13056.aspx
I have the 3x9 version of this and the turrets are accurate. Since you are going with a 20 moa base you can extend the range. Just make your own BDC reference on one of the turrets with some white tape.
The 22lr uses a heeled bullet since the case and bullet diameter are the same. Not much chance of finding a better bullet. You might as well go CF if you are going to that much trouble.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:25 AM   #19

No worries. I was looking at it as a learning opportunity. Im kinda looking at a barsaka swat gen 2 scope. I loved my muller 8x32 power scope but i kinda want the mils to hold over and keep my scope zeroed at 100, but the idea of using a little tape to mark my ranges is a thought. I will post some pics when i get it all together and maybe a range report or two as well. Thanks all

Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
No worries. I was looking at it as a learning opportunity. Im kinda looking at a barsaka swat gen 2 scope. I loved my muller 8x32 power scope but i kinda want the mils to hold over and keep my scope zeroed at 100, but the idea of using a little tape to mark my ranges is a thought. I will post some pics when i get it all together and maybe a range report or two as well. Thanks all
That's what caught my eye about your post its really pushing the outer limits of the caliber. Please keep us posted on your progress.