Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Long Range .22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Long Range .22?

I was wondering if there is a .22 that can accurately shoot long distances like up to 500+ yards? I know that the bullet is very light and that means that it could have countless amount of things effecting the flight path but is there a factory .22 rifle that shoots that far and accurately? If so point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Yes. A .222, .223, .22-250, .220 swift, etc are all. 22's that will reach out to 500+ yards if you know what youre doing. If youre referring to a .22LR, the answer is no. The bullet drop at 260 yards is about 15-20 feet. Personally tested. Add in wind and twice the distance and accuracy is cancelled.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
Yes. A .222, .223, .22-250, .220 swift, etc are all. 22's that will reach out to 500+ yards if you know what youre doing. If youre referring to a .22LR, the answer is no. The bullet drop at 260 yards is about 15-20 feet. Personally tested. Add in wind and twice the distance and accuracy is cancelled.
Yes, I am talking about .22lr. I was wondering how people competition shoot with them. I guess it would be like the smallest grouping with a certain amount of bullets?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8606 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Competition (matches) are not shot at 500 meters with 22 LR. 50 meters is much more common. Once in a rare while, 200.

The 22 LR- from a rifle- begins to drop to subsonic right at 100 meters. Typically that will put a bit of yaw on the bullet, shot groups start to open dramatically. Best stuff- match, is usually right under supersonic.

The trajectory looks a bit like a rainbow beyond 100 meters. The standard round nose 22 has the ballistic coefficient of a rock, and 40 grains just does not have the mass for real long range. A rifle zeroed at 50 yards drops 7.6 inches 100, 55 inches at 200, 97.2 inches at 250, etc. Draw a line graph, you start looking for the pot of gold at the end of that rainbow. BTW, match ammo takes about .839 seconds of flight to get to 250. Lot of time for wind to push it.

This might come in handy-

22tacballisticsx600a.jpg

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-10-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't mean that competition matches were 500 yards. I just figured they were 100 yards with the tightest grouping. I didn't know if better made .22s would shoot a tighter group at 100 yards or not. I know that many factors come into effect and the shooter is also a big effect. Then last night I was looking at the spin(correct me if i'm wrong) of the barrel or something along those lines makes the bullet spin faster and that along with the length of the barrel would effect the bullet traveling a certain amount of distance with less movement off the path shot. So I guess my question would be, if there is a .22lr rifle that has more twist or spin on the barrel and a long enough barrel that you would have tighter groups at 100 yards when trying less? I know that you can have super tight groups at 100 yards with a scope or even iron sights but you have to account for certain things like wind. If you were to have a more spun barrel and long enough for the velocity to kick in more, wouldn't the wind effect the trajectory less? I don't know. Now I sound like I am rambling on. I was just looking for a nice .22lr rifle other than the ones I have currently that would shoot nice groups at 100-200 yards.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx
I didn't mean that competition matches were 500 yards. I just figured they were 100 yards with the tightest grouping. I didn't know if better made .22s would shoot a tighter group at 100 yards or not. I know that many factors come into effect and the shooter is also a big effect. Then last night I was looking at the spin(correct me if i'm wrong) of the barrel or something along those lines makes the bullet spin faster and that along with the length of the barrel would effect the bullet traveling a certain amount of distance with less movement off the path shot. So I guess my question would be, if there is a .22lr rifle that has more twist or spin on the barrel and a long enough barrel that you would have tighter groups at 100 yards when trying less? I know that you can have super tight groups at 100 yards with a scope or even iron sights but you have to account for certain things like wind. If you were to have a more spun barrel and long enough for the velocity to kick in more, wouldn't the wind effect the trajectory less? I don't know. Now I sound like I am rambling on. I was just looking for a nice .22lr rifle other than the ones I have currently that would shoot nice groups at 100-200 yards.
Anshultz, cz, or dakota make some very fine 22lr rifles with proper high quality ammo can shoot very tight groups at 100/ 200. But you will not get one for the price tag of a model 60

Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Anshultz, cz, or dakota make some very fine 22lr rifles with proper high quality ammo can shoot very tight groups at 100/ 200. But you will not get one for the price tag of a model 60
From what I have heard, BRNO is CZ? If so, it was the first .22lr rifle I ever had at the age of 9 and I still have it today. It is very nice but I need a mag for it because they have been lost in the years. It does shoot quite nicely though.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx View Post
Corey, what you state is true to a lot of degree. now i am not versed on how barrel twist rates affect the 22lr barrels and the accuracy that can be acheived by them. i am sure it has pretty much affect on a rimfire as it does a centerfire. but the thing is, most 22lr bullets are in the 30-40gr. weight range. now in centerfire barrels, you try to match as closely the twist rate to the bullet weight you intend to use. factory barrels are a comprimise to work with a wider variety of bullet weights. barrel length has more to do with achieving velocity than accuracy, but does play into it some degree.

Anschutz makes some very accurate 22 rifles as does CZ, but they tend to be on the pricy side and are not cheap.

here is a suggestion, try out a Marlin or Savage 17HMR bolt action. they are very accurate, and with a MV of 2500-2650 FPS, one of the fastest rimfires available. i have used my Savage M93r17 out past 100 yards and even close to 200 yards a few times.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx

From what I have heard, BRNO is CZ? If so, it was the first .22lr rifle I ever had at the age of 9 and I still have it today. It is very nice but I need a mag for it because they have been lost in the years. It does shoot quite nicely though.
Yes brno is cz

Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Yes brno is cz
Then I have one, I just need mags for it and a few other .22lr's I have sitting around.