Lightweight Ruger 1022
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Lightweight Ruger 1022

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lightweight Ruger 1022

I've read various threads around the internet but I could never find a definitive answer as to what is the most lightweight rifle you can build. Ruger states that the vanilla rifle is 5 pounds. I was looking at VQ ultralite barrels (it says that the barrel is 15 oz). Was also looking at some stocks that say they are 32 oz...but realistically, how light can you get the gun without sacrificing accuracy for squirrel hunting? I'm only looking to do some slight plinking and mostly squirrel hunting - not using a bipod to stay light weight.

Last edited by armadirro; 03-05-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6191 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 448

To do that you would have to pretty much build from scratch. Not sure how light you could go but I'm betting around 2-3 pounds if you use a handgun type reflex rds type sight.

I highly recommend the 10/22 takedown. Awesome 22lr. The biggest pain with these is cleaning them. Being able to break it in half you can get in the reciever easily and cleand the barrel and chamber area super easy.

Doing that on a non td version is a right pain in the butt.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
To do that you would have to pretty much build from scratch. Not sure how light you could go but I'm betting around 2-3 pounds if you use a handgun type reflex rds type sight.

I highly recommend the 10/22 takedown. Awesome 22lr. The biggest pain with these is cleaning them. Being able to break it in half you can get in the reciever easily and cleand the barrel and chamber area super easy.

Doing that on a non td version is a right pain in the butt.
I already have my 10/22...it's synthetic stock and stainless barrel. I'm a huge fan of the ATI stocks (I use one on my shotgun). Let me re-word it by saying, how light is light enough without losing accuracy and....Can I cut any weight down by completely replacing the trigger assembly, etc?

Edit: Which is unfortunate because ATI doesn't support bull barrels =(

Edit 2: MY Shotgun that I use for deer hunting sits around 8-9 pounds so I guess I could not go for super ultra light weight..but still a lighter weight gun. I don't want a 9lb rifle with super heavy barrels...I'd like to stick around 5 or so with this rifle...and make the super ultra light one a future goal....Is a lightweight barrel worth getting?

Last edited by armadirro; 03-05-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

If you have the plastic ruger trigger assembly I don't think there is one that's lighter.

Weight savings is going to be barrel stock and optic if any.

I THINK someone makes a titanium reciever but that's buying a new gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #5

Quote:
If you have the plastic ruger trigger assembly I don't think there is one that's lighter.

Weight savings is going to be barrel stock and optic if any.

I THINK someone makes a titanium reciever but that's buying a new gun.
I don't believe my trigger assembly is plastic but I haven't really checked. I kind of planned on changing all of that for a more responsive, tight fire. Thanks though...you really opened my eyes.

So back to the barrel. IF I get a VQ ultralite barrel https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1143-ultralite-barrel

will that be a great bull barrel or would I be better off with an I-fluted stainless steel?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Barrel construction of a 22lr as in fluted bull etc really doesn't matter. You cant heat up a ruger 10/22 fast enough hot enough without a stupid ammount of magazines to make any difference. Its how well the rifling is done. VQ is known for their quality barrels. Whichever you get is going to be a great shooter.

One of the best trigger packs out there is the kidd triggers I've got one of those and its almost like it being thought controlled, just think about the gun firing with your finger on the trigger and it goes boom... whatever that trigger weighs is worth it.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Barrel construction of a 22lr as in fluted bull etc really doesn't matter. You cant heat up a ruger 10/22 fast enough hot enough without a stupid ammount of magazines to make any difference. Its how well the rifling is done. VQ is known for their quality barrels. Whichever you get is going to be a great shooter.

One of the best trigger packs out there is the kidd triggers I've got one of those and its almost like it being thought controlled, just think about the gun firing with your finger on the trigger and it goes boom... whatever that trigger weighs is worth it.
Okie. Thanks you!

Since you say the fluting doesn't matter...would the accuracy of the stainless steel barrel be much better than the shorter light weight barrel? Enough so, to warrant the weight gain? That's my final question

Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

On a 22lr if the bore crown and rifling are done with equal care. No difference. 22lr just lack pressure and speed to take advantage of the difference between fluting and straight bull barrel etc.

If you look at biathalon barrels, stupid accurate rifles, they are very slim and very light. You won't see a single one with fluting or bull barreled.

What I'm getting at is the actual construction work of the 22lr barrel is more important than the outside.

Regular centerfire rifles different rules apply.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Personally If I was doing your build I would go with whatever is lightest that has the best bore and looks good to you.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #10

Thank you very much, sir.

I think I'm just going to get a bunch of kidd stuff including a barrel from them . They seem to be very good at what they do.

Last edited by armadirro; 03-05-2014 at 05:12 AM.