life of 22 ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > life of 22 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default life of 22 ammo

i just discovered that i have about 250 rounds of remington golds in the attick over the garage
they must be 15 years old
do you think they will still work?

Attitude is Everything

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #2

How hot does the attic get in the summer?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:50 AM   #3

Default shelf life of ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideit View Post
i just discovered that i have about 250 rounds of remington golds in the attick over the garage
they must be 15 years old
do you think they will still work?
I have fired so ammo that is older than dirt and it worked, One day about 20 years ago one of my younger sons droped a 22 cal round in a bottle of Hopps solvent while I was cleaning some of my rimfires, I remember yelling at him and sending him out of the room, well, me saving everything and always buying more than I am ever going to use in a life time, it got pushed back into deep storage, every once in a while I would come accross that bottle and look at it and think back to that day and think, Iwounder if that round would fire, and put it back, well about a week ago I was breaking in a new barrle and grabed a bounch of partial bottles of solvent and rememberd to grab that one and see what 20 years of sitting in solvent would do to a 22 round, I pretty much had it in my head that it was not going to fire, I loaded the round in my single action Ruger pulled back the hammer and let it drop, And sure as sh$$ that thing went off, I was amazed, The only ammo I have ever had continious problems with are old paper shotgun shells, I'm thinking they absorb moisture much easyier.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am still shooting Remington Kleenbore ammo out of the red and green boxes. That stuff must be between 40 and 60 years old. Still goes bang with the regularity of the new stuff. I know that it has not been store in an optimal environment all of its life

Old 10-29-2007, 02:47 AM   #5

Default life of 22 ammo

I have fired a lot of 22 ammo that is very old and never had a problem. The only time I ever experienced a problem with old ammo was about 25 years ago I had bought a Colt Police Positive and some ammo that was purchased with the gun in the 1920's. It was Western 38 special (Oilproof). The gun is long gone but I still have the box of shells. Anyway when the stuff was fired it made for a little more kick than one would expect for a 38 special and seemed to send a lot of sparks out the barrel.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Life of .22 ammo

.22 ammo has a problem with the priming. The priming compound will dry out, become brittle and fall out of the rim into the case. You will get inconsistant ignition as a result. Center fire primers also dry out but the priming compound cannot go anywhere. They tend to stay good longer.
As long as the centerfire ammo is stored in proper conditions (air tight climate controlled) it should last many generations. Rimfire will last nearly as long if it is not bounced around. The vibration will cause the priming compound to break loose.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im 60 and still have a case or two that my father bought at an auction when I was less than a teenager. I fire off a box about once every 4-5 years and never have I had a misfire. So long story short---my opinion is 22s last a long long time if properly stored.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if it aint green shoot it

Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
if it aint green shoot it
and if it is green clean it with some never dull THEN shoot it!

Gun Control is a MUST! If you cannot control your gun get one you CAN!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #10

Default ammo aged

I have the remains of a box of semi smokeless I will try out,that has to be in late 30s its unmarked box.I will post if it fires.makes alot of smoke.