Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Lever Action & Snap Caps (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/lever-action-snap-caps-101622/)

otisthecat 12-16-2013 12:08 AM

Lever Action & Snap Caps
 
Should snap caps be able to fully load/cycle in a lever action .22? I picked up a Henry for my son and I for Christmas and couldn't help but play with it for a bit after he was in bed. It should hold 15 rounds, but anything more than 5 or 6 caps and the magazine tube wouldn't seat all the way. To make things worse, I had a terrible time getting it to cycle what I could load.

I'm perfectly fine with the fact that there's a very strong possibility I'm doing something wrong as my rifle experience is extremely limited. Just hoping this is something simple so we can shoot after Christmas. Any info/advice would greatly appreciated!

hiwall 12-16-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Should snap caps be able to fully load/cycle in a lever action .22?
probably not.........

hawkguy 12-16-2013 02:53 AM

no idea on lever action 22's....:confused:

but my lever 30-30 and 357 both cycle snap caps with no issues.

nitestalker 12-16-2013 03:08 AM

Do not dry fire a .22 rim fire without snap caps. The rim fire firing pin will be damaged and the chamber mouth can be scored. :eek:

otisthecat 12-16-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1459977)
no idea on lever action 22's....:confused:

but my lever 30-30 and 357 both cycle snap caps with no issues.

Well, that's not good news. It's like they're jamming/binding in the magazine tube.

hawkguy 12-16-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otisthecat (Post 1459993)
Well, that's not good news. It's like they're jamming/binding in the magazine tube.

well, you never know...its only snap caps. henry generally has a good reputation. and often rim fires (in my experience) are much more ammo finicky than center fire guns.

have you broken it down to clean it? maybe a nice cleaning and some well placed oil will do the trick....they are dirty as all get out from the factory normally....packing grease, etc....always a good idea to get it nice and clean! :)

otisthecat 12-24-2013 07:50 PM

Just in case anyone was dying to know the outcome of this little drama, it's a snap cap problem not a rifle problem. Real ammo cycles just fine.

JonM 12-24-2013 08:17 PM

do not dry fire a 22lr with snap caps. the rims are aluminum and will damage a firing pin and chamber faster than dry firing... the 22lr dummy rounds are for checking the cycle of the action only. if you need to dry fire a 22lr not designed to be dryfired (all ruger 22lr made since 1980 are safe to dryfire) use a fired empty 22lr NOT aluminum snap caps.

otisthecat 12-24-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1466485)
do not dry fire a 22lr with snap caps. the rims are aluminum and will damage a firing pin and chamber faster than dry firing... the 22lr dummy rounds are for checking the cycle of the action only. if you need to dry fire a 22lr not designed to be dryfired (all ruger 22lr made since 1980 are safe to dryfire) use a fired empty 22lr NOT aluminum snap caps.

No dry fire, just checking feed/ejection (basically playing). Thanks for the heads up anyway though!

Tinstar 01-04-2014 05:03 AM

You learned what I was about to tell you. Snap caps suck in a lever action. My Henry Golden Boy cycles long rifle, long, and shorts like butter! Fantastic gun...and very accurate! However, I find that the Remington Golden Bullets will jam up my rod every time. Federal bricks...fantastic!


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.