Lead vs copper plated? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Lead vs copper plated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1514 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 3290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
First let me face palm myself for thinking his name had the combination of "C3" in it. :face palm:

Now that that's over and done with, I think it's a bit of a personally pretends. It could also be that the solid led rounds might leave a waxy residue in the barrel that fills the rifling and causes the bullet to key hole when/if it hits the target, it could also be because it leave more gunk in the rifles barrel......or it could just be he prefers copper plated simply because he like it. Haha
Well I pretty much figure it's something along one of those lines if not all, but I just wanted hear from Sniper03 on it. He always seems to very knowledgeable about this sort of thing and I usually learn something when he posts. So it would be nice to hear his reasoning on this.

I've always shot both lead and copper plated in a .22, but I always thought that copper plated bullets should be a little more accurate at least in theory. Copper is much denser and I would think more consistent when it engages the rifling, and less prone to send out a flier? But that's just speculation.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

Well I pretty much figure it's something along one of those lines if not all, but I just wanted hear from Sniper03 on it. He always seems to very knowledgeable about this sort of thing and I usually learn something when he posts. So it would be nice to hear his reasoning on this.
I can see where your coming from.
I usually learn something new from reading his posts too.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

kaido, i prefer the copper plated as they seem a little more accurate in my rifle. but thats my rifle and me. just try different ammo until you find one that performs good in yours. it might be lead or jacketed ammo. good luck.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've shot mostly copper and brass plated/jacketed rounds through my 60 and 80% of that was the brass. The only two brands of lead I've tried were the CCI Blazer and Winchester Wildcat. The Blazer shot great and didn't show any signs of leading in the bore. The Wildcat made a mess of the bore, it was fouled with lead after about 25-30 rounds. I had to clean the bore before I could shoot anything else. I will not be shooting the Wildcat again.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #15

Likes Given: 1

This is what I was told along time ago. My first 22 was a model 60 marlin micro groove. The jacketed bullets do better in the micro groove. Ballard it dont matter.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbernater
This is what I was told along time ago. My first 22 was a model 60 marlin micro groove. The jacketed bullets do better in the micro groove. Ballard it dont matter.
See, I never really thought that would make much a difference.
Just figured that the micro grooves would be more accurate then the standard rifling regardless of which type of ammunition was used. But if that's the case I might buy some plated ones for my girl since she has a micro grooved barrel in her XT, but since the barrel needs braking in, going to use up this box of lead tomorrow....or at least use most of it.