Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Lead vs copper plated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Lead vs copper plated?

M sure this has been asked and/or debated plenty of times between friends on and off of forums. But I'm kind of curious, do you guys find a difference between a copper plated .22 and an unplated one?

I'm not referring to the amount of cleaning needed to be done since I've heard that the lead ones tend to leave a waxy build up as well as lead residue in the higher velocity rounds.

What I'm asking is to do with the accuracy and feeding of them.
I jut bought a box of winchesters Expert High Velocity and didn't realize that their not plated. Also wondering how well lead slugs tend to cycle in a semi-auto firearm.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

kaido,

My answer is real simple! I do not shoot all lead bullets in anything including my 22 cal. guns! I do my black powder guns but that is it!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
kaido,

My answer is real simple! I do not shoot all lead bullets in anything including my 22 cal. guns!

I never planned on shooting lead rounds at all either, but being pretty new to shooting I never thought to check and make sure their plated. Ill defiantly be sure to do that in the feature though.

Think you'd be able to recommend some good brands?

Old 12-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have heard that copper coated ammo is cleaner but cant attest to that. I do know that all match ammo, any that was intended for top accuray is plain lead. The reason for this is, the application of the copper coating is applied as the bullets are tumbled in the copper solution. When you tumble lead bullets many minor deformities occur thus rendering them less accurate.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4512 Times on 2373 Posts
Likes Given: 258

i shoot about 1000 rounds a month of 22lr. i run both and havent noticed any difference other than price. 22lr is just too low powered for it to make any difference. just pick what fits your budget and works in your guns.

in terms of accuracy unplated lead to shoot better than plated bullets in my experience

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

kaido,

I won a state competition with Federal Hi-Power 22 Ammunition in the coated bullets in a silhouette competition and swear by them! There are man other good coated or plated rounds out there. I was shooting a maximum distance of 100 yards with a Thompson 10" pistol it was a great round and would even be better in a rifle.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #7

Ooh, well I guess it might not make to much of a difference then. I isn't figure that one migh be a tad bit more accurate, but would kind of depend on the rifle too.

C3, I might look for a box of that when I'm out of these ones or if they won't cycle in my gun. I loaded a magazine up for my girls rifle and just cycled the action and out of 14 rounds there was no jams at all, bu that's a bolt so not sure if my semi will cycle them as well. Haven't fired them from either rifle yet though. I'm hoping to tomorrow sometime.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 924 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
kaido,

My answer is real simple! I do not shoot all lead bullets in anything including my 22 cal. guns! I do my black powder guns but that is it!

I was wondering why you won't shoot all lead bullets in your .22's?

Thanks

Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In 22 LR, I have not been able to tell the difference between waxed lead and copper dusted lead. The copper plate on the 22 LR I shoot is not like really solid, like a FMJ 45 ACP. I have not had any feed issues with either.

I shoot in a no lead zone, so I've had to go with gelding metal 22 LR for varmints. Those rounds are expensive and don't seem to group as well as even the bargain bricks of 22 LR from Federal and others. But the barrel seems to stay clean.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

I was wondering why you won't shoot all lead bullets in your .22's?

Thanks
First let me face palm myself for thinking his name had the combination of "C3" in it. :face palm:

Now that that's over and done with, I think it's a bit of a personally pretends. It could also be that the solid led rounds might leave a waxy residue in the barrel that fills the rifling and causes the bullet to key hole when/if it hits the target, it could also be because it leave more gunk in the rifles barrel......or it could just be he prefers copper plated simply because he like it. Haha