just shot my ruger 10/22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > just shot my ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default just shot my ruger 10/22

I shot federal bulk and that **** jammed every clip sometimes more than once. I also shot Remington thunderbolts...it was a little better but not much. Every other clip. And was WAY OFF sights. High and to the left. WHAT THE HELL. HELP.

@TooStrongTerry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Terry, "jammed" can mean several things. Can you be more specific? And were the "jams" consistent in nature?
What brand/type of magazines are you using?
As for the POA vs POI, maybe your sights need adjusting.

Rufus

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry. When I opened the chamber and placed in the BX-25 mag and closed the bolt a cartridge got stuck. I had to remove the mag and replace the cartridge. Then when everything was loaded...about after 5 shots the cartridge would get stuck in the action again. I have the original mag it came with and one that I purchased the same day. Same mag.

Question...my rear sights don't exactly move. There looks like a little slide in the middle of it with a screw. That's the only thing I could possibly move. And that being said I don't think I can adjust the height just to the left or right.

@TooStrongTerry

Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #4

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Terry did you take it aparts and clean everthing good and relube? Get the thicker grease out, clean the barrel and chamber and same with the bolt. Then try a better class of ammo. CCi mini-mags tend to run well. Give the remington stuff a brake. It is some of the dirtist ammo out and many guns don't allways shoot bulk box's well when new.. And not accurately then. Do you also have the 10 shot maxs to try too?

Just try to get it shooting first but allways start with a nice clean firarm.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I wiped it down but I did not clean it thoroughly. 10 round max? What do u mean? And I guess I can adjust the height but not the opposite. I just field stripped it n cleaned it. It was filthy. I'm gonna try n bring it to the range this Friday and see if it shoots.

@TooStrongTerry

Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
I wiped it down but I did not clean it thoroughly. 10 round max? What do u mean? And I guess I can adjust the height but not the opposite. I just field stripped it n cleaned it. It was filthy. I'm gonna try n bring it to the range this Friday and see if it shoots.

@TooStrongTerry
10 round factory mags. Can you post a pic of the sights front and back?

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

My 10/22 loves the Federal Bulk ammo. The least friendly 22's in mine are the Remingtons. The best are the CCI mini mags 40gr. 22's do get mucked up after a while and need to be thoroughly cleaned, including the mags. You have one of the most reliable/accurate carbines on the market. Give it a little love and you will be happy.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2375 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Unless they have changed very recently, the Ruger rear sight has 2 small screws that you loosen to raise or lower the rear sight blade. If you are shooting high, lower the rear sight blade. The sight has to drifted to adjust right or left. The rear sight blade also has 2 different notches so you can flip the blade for the notch you like best. Make sure the front sight is centered in its slot. You can get some side to side adjustment there too. They used to come with a scope rail. I dont know if they still do. There are 4 small filler screws on top of the action that have to be removed to attach a scope base. Red dots work great on 10-22's. I like the Bushnell TRS25, about $85 on Amazon. Since there is not a lot of recoil, the cheaper ones will work too but dot quality is not always great.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How do I drift the rear sight? And Marlin I'll take a pic for u soon. And yes I'm using the factory mags.

@TooStrongTerry

Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #10

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
How do I drift the rear sight? And Marlin I'll take a pic for u soon. And yes I'm using the factory mags.

@TooStrongTerry
Tap it sideways in the barrel dovetails.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did