Just Bought a Nice Savage Model 19 M, Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Just Bought a Nice Savage Model 19 M, Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just Bought a Nice Savage Model 19 M, Questions

I just bought a Savage 19 M in at least 95% condition, it came with the original Wallensk 4X scope.
This is my first old Savage 22.
It's the model with the longer stock, 28" heavy barrel. The stock goes to within about 4" from the end of the barrel, kind of military looking and has a metal cap on the end.
It has the built in scope mounts and a blade front sight, but I don't see a back sight on it.
It's not like the later NRA models that had the extended dopter rear sight and hooded front sight and in the pictures, I can't see any holes or anywhere that a rear sight could be mounted, so I'm wondering if it even had a rear sight.
If anyone has any more info on it, I'd sure like to know more about it. I have not got it yet, so I can't post pics.

I know it's an earlier model than most of the model 19's, not an NRA version, but more of a target rifle.
The scope has the outside ring with the 3 turrets to adjust the whole tube for sighting it in.
I paid $425. for it. Very good bluing, great stock, but it has a small chip at the heal, otherwise it looks perfect.
It has the military type sling swivels on it.
I'm pleased as can be with it. The guy at the shop said the bore is excellent also, it may be a darn good shooter.
I intend to shoot it with subsonic ammo only. Can't wait to see how it groups at 25 and 50.

Anyone who could give me more info on this model, I would sure appriciate it.
Thanks, John K

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8946 Times on 3872 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

My copy of the Blue Book, under Savage 19M, is blow the 19L- says "As above, but with 28 inch barrel, fitted with telescopic sight bases."

You may not have HAD a rear sight there, bubba. On older rifles, the M designation for several brands seems to indicate "military" in the stocking- similar to the stock of an 03 rifle.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

From the pictures, that's kind of what I was thinking, looks like it may have just been designed to be a scoped model.
I've seen lots of the 19 NRA versions with the shorter stocks, but this is the first I've seen with the original scope. I did see one other that had a more modern scope on it. None of the others had the longer stock or heavier 28" barrel.

My Best, John K