Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > JC Higgins Model 29

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default JC Higgins Model 29

Was browsing my favorite pawn shop a while ago, chanced upon a JC Higgins Model 29 in pretty good condition, excepting the bolt would not close. Up to now, had never heard of JC Higgins, started researching and have found that I purchased a jewel of a rifle. Paid $60.
Took the gun completely apart and cleaned it out, was cruddy as heck inside.
Put a Simmons 22Mag scope on it after finding that I needed 11mm mounts (what a PITA). A simple, beautiful and accurate as heck rifle.
Once I get home and get my profile set up, will post some pics.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

Liked 7546 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Congrats! By now I expect you know- JC Higgins was the "Store brand" for Sears, later replaced by "Ted Williams". Companies like Winchester, Marlin, Mossberg, Savage, High Standard made guns that they marked with the Sears name, for sale only by Sears. The website for gunpartscorp.com has,at thebttom of the page, a store brand cross reference. Guns might have a Beech stock instead of walnut, smooth stock instead of checkering, but was the same gun as the parent model- usually for less money.

Western Auto hardware had the Revelation store brand, Montgomery Ward had the Westerfield store brand- hell, even JC Penney had a store brand.

Jump into your DeLorean with the Flux capacitor, and go back in time to the 1910's- 1930's, every mom and pop hardware store had guns with THEIR store name on them. Crescent Frearms made guns under about 12 DOZEN names. If you wanted to order 12 guns, and have them marked Alfonso's Ice Cream & Funeral parlor, just get your checkbook out.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #3

You are correct. Except, JC Higgins was a real person, a clerk in a Sears store. He agreed to allow Sears to use his name. The middle initial was actually added as John Higgins did not have a middle name. He stayed with Sears until he retired many years later as an auditor.
Up to the late 1960's, all sporting goods sold by Sears wore the JC Higgins brand, later to be replaced by Ted Williams.
The Model 29 was made by High Standard and is of excellent quality and a great shooter.
What I find most unique about the rifle is the stock configuration, which is 2 pieces. I am guessing the date on this gun is 1963-64 as it does not have a serial number.

Last edited by mmszbi; 05-28-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #4

Liked 7546 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

VERY nice little High Standard you have there! Yeah, the older 22s are addictive- and the cost of the addiction is stell pretty reasonable. Just ran across one of the little JC Higgins rifles with the retractable sling. Kinda neat.

So how are things in Grand Junction these days? Used to live in Douglas County, and pass thru your neck of the woods when going over to Blanding Ut.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #5

Today...exceedingly windy, absoulutely howling, but warm. My uncle has one with the retractible sling, the Model 31.

Most people are like slinkies....not much use but good for a smile when ya push em' down the stairs.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

I dad has a rifle like that one. I didn't know the model but looking at the pics it is just like his. His shot very good only thing with his was if you had to shoot bullets with rounded tips. If the bullet was squared tips they would hit the inside of the barrel and not smoothly be chambered.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the Model 30 with retractable sling and the 'cocking knob' on the left side, like an HK. Sears had several similar models, each with slightly different features. Mine is a very good shooter. As with all 'pawnshop' guns, it was filthy when I got it. Cleaned up well. I guess pawnshop clerks NEVER have time to clean the guns........

Another "cheap cast metal gun" that just seems to last and last....
I love these older twentytwo rifles - they seem to usually shoot better than the newer ones.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #8

A lot of pawn shop guys simply don't know what they have on thier shelf, I paid a whopping $60 for this one. Tomorrow I am going to pick up the old Marlin Model 60 for $40

Most people are like slinkies....not much use but good for a smile when ya push em' down the stairs.