Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Jammed STEVENS 87E Help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well it's unstuck now.....either we're idiots or it really was jammed, but I've not seen a gun like this. The little bolt/handle that goes into the action bolt, slides in and out. The receiver has two holes in it, and the little bolt slides all the way through to either lock it closed or lock it open. I've never seen a gun that works like this....can anyone shed some light on it? Also if my understanding is correct, that I should somehow be able to adjust the recoil spring for the size of .22 shell I use (short vs LR etc) This gun was much before my time and while I am fairly used to auto guns and .22's I've never shot this old of a semi auto rifle to my knowledge. The only thing I've ever shot a .22 short in was a Henry lever action. Also I'm not certain that the inner magazine feed tube is the correct one for the actual magazine tube. It has an old metal follower instead of the plastic one and it just doesn't look right when it's in there. BUT I guess if it works it works, just hope it does haha.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 129 Posts

I think that for long rifle you leave the "bolt" out and it will function as a semi auto.

For shorts and standard rifle ammo you lock the bolt and fire as a single shot.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #13

YEP, found that on the barrel last night after I got some of the rust off. I got it cleaned up some last night. It was full of hard, black grease and sand :/ Someone was ROUGH on this old gun. Most of the screws are seized, so I was unable to remove the trigger and also the feed assembly and tube. BUT I got all the "internals" out and cleaned up. Put it back together and dropped 5 rounds down the tube and let all 5 fly in a couple seconds. Old gun cycled flawlessly. Just hope I can get the other little screws out to really tear this thing down. They're just too soft and I'm tearing up the heads of them ?!?!