Im haveing trouble finding ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Im haveing trouble finding ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mosin thanks for the info,typical wal-mart

Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Every Wal-Mart I've been to carries Remington Subsonic. Almost picked some up yesterday, but couldn't get any customer service...left empty handed
You're lucky they didn't have anyone working the counter. That stuff is terrible IMO. Some people like it though which is very strange.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #13

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
You're lucky they didn't have anyone working the counter. That stuff is terrible IMO. Some people like it though which is very strange.
I LOVE it! it's all I use (other than the CCI shorts). here's why

1) It cycles my 597 with no problem.

2) It doesn't have that sonic crack downrange and is a lot quieter, in my opinion.

3) The reduced velocity makes for more consistent accuracy at the ranges I use (25-50 yards.) I actually bought every type of .22 ammo I could find at Wal-Mart and tested it. (The Remington subsonics and CCI shorts were the best performers, but the shorts do not cycle the action).

4) While not as cheap as the 550 bulk pack, it's still cheap ($3.97 per 50 rounds, I think)

5) I do not experience the FTF problems I usually encounter with the bulk packs. I ASSume they have better quality control.

These are MY reasons, not knocking yours. That's the funny thing about .22's I've come to learn. They can be VERY picky about the ammo they want.
YOU might choose your .22, but your .22 will choose its ammo.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #14

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There's another one! Most people say Remington stuff will have a lot of duds and inconsistent loads making accuracy a real challenge. They will also say it's very dirty and gums up whatever you shoot it in. It's just weird that someone else will come along and swear it's great. I know your guns pick their ammo but nothing I've shot it in likes Remington rimfire ammo (Golden Bullets, etc.). It has characteristics that keep it from being good in any rifle.

For example I bought a brick of Golden Bullets a couple of years ago. I had to clean my Marlin 60 at least every 100 rounds or it got so gummed up it wouldn't cycle if you pulled the bolt back yourself. I had to clean it from one end to the other. I went 11 years without cleaning that rifle once. And it never had problems until the end of that period which is why I finally cleaned it. After shooting about 300 rounds of that GB brick I decided I would shoot the rest in a single shot Stevens I have because I thought it wouldn't have problems with that ammo. Wrong again. I had to clean that rifle twice to get it to finish that brick. I had about 200 rounds left. I'm talking simple as it gets bolt action and it got to where I could barely move the bolt. I had to take it down and clean it or it would have stuck completely. It was far worse than any other ammo I ever shot. I've been shooting that rifle for 45 years and I knew the guy who owned it before my dad did. It never had problems like that but it sure did with that brick of GB.

I really think they must sell different ammo in different parts of the country. Apparently Federal does too IMO. Some say it's inconsistent and dirty. Yet others swear it's great (or they did until recently - now everyone says it stinks). These are things that can't be rifle connected. When one round cracks the sound barrier and the next is nearly a true squib you can't make that ammo shoot accurately unless you're shooting at something 5 feet away. You can't judge the drop correctly.

I've seen this happen many times before. I can find hundreds of posts where people just hate Remington rimfire and then I find posts where people love it and won't use anything else. There's just something a little too fishy about this stuff. Go figure.

Last edited by Jeff56; 10-29-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

The Rem subsonics are better quality the the crappy HV stuff. They dont make as many so maybe the quality control is better.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #16

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Every Wal-Mart I've been to carries Remington Subsonic. Almost picked some up yesterday, but couldn't get any customer service...left empty handed
Typical - If it wern't for their price on 100rd White Boxs of 9mm & 45acp I'd forget where Wallyworld was located

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #17

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
Your Post
I don't like the golden bullet pack. I use the bulk 550 pack with good results, but like I posted, subsonic is good to go.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #18

O.k., I picked up somd sub-sonic rem rounds,.shot 10 rounds and got a misfire! Other than that its just what I needed

Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNTTrauma72 View Post
i lije to support the local gun shops and smiths
If that's the case you need to speak-up and tell your LGS and/or smiths to order you some.

Around here I have to drive to east jesus to find ammo and they don't carry the stuff I want.
When I ask them to order for me, I'm told they only order in Bulk per Home Office guide lines or such. Huh?
2-3 thousand rounds isn't considered bulk. Wusup wid at?

I get it on the net because I can find what I want when I want.
All I can say is Get It while ya can.

Until Obama arms them, these Groundhogs don't stand a chance...

Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #20

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNTTrauma72 View Post
I just cant find sub-sonic .22lr ammo in springfield mo
Walmart!

$3.67 a box for Remington

I've shot thousands of rounds through sig mosquito, walther p22, and marlin 60. All sporting a YHM suppressor.

Walthers are notorious for failures and jams, as are the mosquitos. Never had a problem. Stuff shoots a .375" 50 yard group from the marlin.

I actually consider Remington subsonic to be one if the most reliable ammos available.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 10-31-2011 at 02:51 PM.