I'm cheap... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > I'm cheap...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

so...bolt apparently has loads more accuracy than semi.

Those Hi-Points look good, price-ways anyhoo... I might be able to get shooting sooner than I first thought

I've almost lusted after the 77/22... but if I'm gonna cough up that much money, wouldn't a different cartridge give me better, longer reach?

The more I think about it, the more "variety" in guns I want to own. Plinker... Target-shooter... home-defence... Its feeling rather addictive. I could see myself in twenty-years' time owning a broad variety of guns, and that doesn't bother me a bit

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to learn a bit as I go too.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS View Post

Those Hi-Points look good, price-ways anyhoo... I might be able to get shooting sooner than I first thought

I've almost lusted after the 77/22... but if I'm gonna cough up that much money, wouldn't a different cartridge give me better, longer reach?

The more I think about it, the more "variety" in guns I want to own. Plinker... Target-shooter... home-defence... Its feeling rather addictive. I could see myself in twenty-years' time owning a broad variety of guns, and that doesn't bother me a bit

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to learn a bit as I go too.
Just to add to the thought of the 9mm Hipoint combo, take a look at this:
https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_28&produ cts_id=112&zenid=0ea4765b4fc9575997c14dafbd7e42db

1000 rounds for $180 isn't too much more than you'd pay for .22 LR these days.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:26 AM   #13

Now I'm debating, between the "roadtrip to see girlfriend who's 300+ miles away", "get full leathers for bike", and "get some iron and start launching lead."

*sighs* GF takes first priority, then bike, then guns... but if things don't work out, well, guns get bumped up a few months on the timetable

That ammo states "remanufactured"... anything I should be wary of should I ponder purchasing such? I'm hoping to get some reloading gear shortly after getting the first batch of guns (have a friend who might lemme use his, idk, but that's something I'm keeping in consideration if I veer from .22lr

Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I hope they pay teachers considerably better than they do here in the Mid-west. Seriously, I found myself in your shoes in the late '60's. Most of what you're hearin' is good. The .22s are an excellent place to start. Both daughters started there (one a .22 Marlin 880 and the other a Ruger 77-.22) and that's where the grandson is starting (.22 Henry). Starting with better quality firearms, even if they're are a little used is far better than wondering, is it the gun or was the miss caused by me? Spending $10-12 for a carton of .22s is a lot easier than buyin' a case of anything else. I still have my .22 Ruger single six convertable from---.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS
*sighs* GF takes first priority, then bike, then guns... but if things don't work out, well, guns get bumped up a few months on the timetable
My god man you are messed up. There are plenty of women out there, bikes are not an investment. Guns should be at the top of the list. Bikes will make you go broke and quick. Leathers, Helmets, tires, hop up parts, pipes, bars, plastic (From when you lay it down) paint, chrome, ect....................... We all know women cost way too much money, then you get married and then kids. Man kids really cut into the gun money 10 times more than a wife with a purse and shoe fetish.

With guns you will always have money that is unless you are like me and can't not force yourself to sell guns.

Believe you me the more guns you buy the more you find you need. I need a short range varmint gun, medium range varmint gun, long range varmint gun, target rifles plinkers, deer rifle, deer shotgun, front stuffer, it is unamerican not to own a 30-06 with a 3-9x40mm scope. Then I need a benchrest gun a custom built gun, a turkey shotgun, a skeet shotgun, an upland bird shotgun. Then we get to pistols. I need a plinker, workhorse, a single actions, double action revolvers, a 1911 conversion kit, a bolt action pistol, a ruger charger, I need a 9mm, 40smith, 45acp, 38 super, 357 mag, 41mag, 44mag, 460 smith, 500 smith, 1911 glock, sig, HK, Springfield xd, 1911, Colt woodsman, Hi-Standard, Wather sp22 M3, I need at least a Remington xp-100 in 22-250 ar pistol, suppressed pistol, oh god there are so many. I can't rattle them all off.

You know your a gun nut when you equate the cost of everything to guns and ammo.....

Never fear we are hear to help you on your way to becoming just like most of us.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re:I'm cheap...

Hi:
DFENS If you have any pawn shops near by take a look there.There is nothing wrong looking at older rimfire rifles & pistols.I'm not a big fan of tube fed rifles but the seem to be cheaper where I live SW Oregon and always see
tube fed rifles for $150.00 or less Ruger 10/22 make a great first 22 rifle!!
there are many 3rd party items like stocks,triggers and all sort of things some
are great others are well just not to great.You can always make payments at the pawn dealer they all know me by my first name where I shop .Yes I have a girl friend and I bought here a 10/22 and she enjoys shooting it.I have a CHRONIC ADDICATION OF FIREARMS.Like says cpttango30 once you get a few then you will start looking at more firearms.Do you have any gun shows out your way? check them out also bring about $200.00 and you could pobley walk out with a 22 and some ammo.I like the 22 because you can
shoot it all day long the price of 500 loose box rounds is less than buying a
box of centerfire rifle cartridges 308,30.06 .Look at Walmart or Big5sporting
goods to get a good price for the loose pak boxes of 500cnt of 22 rimfire

Thanks
Scott Hannah

Old 08-21-2008, 02:25 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFENS View Post

If you get a HiPoint Carbine you'll never regret it. They are cheap but incredibly accurate and reliable. My .40 carbine keeps them inside 2" at 50-75 yds with the stock peep sights. They make a 9mm carbine that's exactly the same. They are good for home defense, plinking, and even hunting. Many Police Depts use them.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #18

I have to admit that I am partial to Rugers. I have a P95 in 9mm. & my wife has a Mark IV Anniversary edition with a target barrel & rear adjustable sight. It's a really nice pistol. If your looking for a semi-auto pistol. Like the others have said the single sixes are nice too. As for rifles, I have had a Marlin semi-auto that my fatheer bought me when I was 11 or 12. I'm sure it was fairly inexpensive, because that was the way my father went with us kids. It was a decent shooting rifle though.
Now I own a 10/22 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago for squirrel hunting & plinking. It does both well. I bought an inexpensive 4x scope w/32mm objective lens & from a steady rest I can put a hole in a hole at 35 yds. & 3 shots within 5/8" at 50 yds. Not bad for an inexpensive rifle & scope.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have a single six Ruger that is a do all rimfire handgun. CB caps to Mags (with the spare cylinder) for every thing from 8 legged to 4 legged vermin respectively (Yes, Spiders with a .22, I hate spiders)
roflmao spiders with a .22, i love it!! i dont like spiders either.

To secure peace is to prepare for war - Mettalica

IF YOU KNOW HOW MANY GUNS YOU HAVE...... YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #20
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default 1911-22?

Chiappa has a nice 1911-22. I have lots of fun with mine. I can't tell much about accuracy. But I can tell you it shoots better than I can do....
nicky1.jpg

good luck!!

Closed Thread