I'm cheap...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > I'm cheap...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm cheap...

But I'd rather save up and get what I'm ultimately looking for in one go. So here's what I'm looking for...

To start out with, I'd like t I'o get 1 - the cheapest, reliable .22LR handgun I can find, so as to learn to handle a handgun, and 2 - a rifle of same caliber. The pistol, I'm not too picky about cause it'll be re-sold or traded in for a latter handgun.

The rifle, however, I'm thinking I'll hang on to for a while. A life-long while. It'll be for target-shooting only, maybe this or that but not much outside the envelope of the .22LR capabilities. If I need anything bigger it'll be handgun duty. So, what I'm looking for is something that I can just fool around with, work on making as many small holes appear within a single hole as possible, if that makes sense.

Is there much of a difference between bolt-action and semi-auto? I'd prefer a bolt-action, but if the 10/22 is just as accurate as any bolt, then I'd be quite happy to find one.

No hurry on any replies, as it'll likely be a few years before I can afford any goodies. Gotta finish school and hopefully start teaching before I can have any fun-money...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Any quality rifle will last you a lifetime, so I don't think it matters that much. If you like to plink and learn how to shoot, the main thing is you, not the gun.

I generally recommend a Henry rifle. I don't think it is any less of a gun than a bolt action or semi-auto. You can find them for around $200 at Walmart if your local one sells guns.

I use a Browning Buckmark Camper and I might also buy a Ruger Single Six just for fun.

Seems that either of these guns could be purchased with only a little advance planning on your part. They aren't overly expensive, but not cheap throwaways either.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have a single six Ruger that is a do all rimfire handgun. CB caps to Mags (with the spare cylinder) for every thing from 8 legged to 4 legged vermin respectively (Yes, Spiders with a .22, I hate spiders)

I also have a Smith and Wesson 22A for semi- auto work. With a cheap BSA red dot sight it will shoot cloverleafs at 25 yards.

Rifle? 10-22. Nuff said.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have the base model Henry .22 lever gun. I love it. It's extremely accurate and the smoothest action I have ever experienced on a levergun ( and I have Winchesters and a Marlin). The stock is the nicest peice of walnut you'll ever see for $200 or twice that price. I also have a Stainless Bull Barreled Ruger 22/45 that is very reliable and accurate also. Pain in the ass to breakdown and re-assemble though.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Well, there is TARGET and there is plinking. Have friends that are shooting BR 50, and their rifles are NOT cheap. The SERIOUS target stuff with make a 10-22 look like a shotgun as far as accuracy. However, 10-22s, and Marlin bolt rifles are darned near as accurate as most shooters. I have freely admitted to being addicted to older Mossberg 22s- for around $200-250, you can find a bolt action 44US that will shoot better than you. For more $$, and a rifle that your GRANDKIDS will still be using, get a Marlin 39A lever action.

For handguns in 22 cal, suggest you look at Ruger Mk III, and Browning Buckmark. I have an original Ruger Standard from 1970, could not lift all the 22 ammo it has shot, and is still a good shooter.

Many ranges RENT firearms to use on that range- see if you can find what you like.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

For a handgun I am assuming you want a semi-auto. For that and Ruger MkII or MkIII would work. But they are not the cheapest. I bought a Beretta Neos for $199 that in my book is dirt cheap as it shoots like a dream. Browning buckmarks are also very good pistol. Like I say below there are a bunch of them out there. But the Ruger MkI, II, III and the Buckmark are the gold standard for 22lr semi-auto pistols. Taurus and Smith would be my bet for a 22lr revolver. Smith tend to be on the spendy side. I had a Smith M17 K-22 masterpiece that would out shoot many rifles.

For the rifle. Look at the Remington 547, CZ 452 or 453 of a Savage. Rugers 77/22 is also a very good rifle. There are plenty of them out there. I have two old Remington 511 rifles both of which will shoot 1' groups at 100 yards which for being 50 + years old is better than many brand new rifle will shoot. Marlin's Golden 39A is a great lever gun if that is what you want. My next 22 rifle will more than likely be the CZ 453 Varminter. topped with a Weaver V-24 6-24x40mm scope. If you really want to best of the best look no further than a Cooper LVT.

You just need to look around go to a gun store in your area and look at the 22lr. If you have a Bass pro or Cabales would be better. I would not buy from them as they are high priced on used and new firearms.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have a single six Ruger that is a do all rimfire handgun. CB caps to Mags (with the spare cylinder) for every thing from 8 legged to 4 legged vermin respectively (Yes, Spiders with a .22, I hate spiders)

I also have a Smith and Wesson 22A for semi- auto work. With a cheap BSA red dot sight it will shoot cloverleafs at 25 yards.

Rifle? 10-22. Nuff said.
+1 for Ruger rimfires. A single six is a very versatile piece IMO.
The nice thing about the 10-22 is the boat loads of extras that are made for it. As you progress into shooting and develop your skills, you can turn the little Ruger into your specific rifle, or leave her as is, and stock up on some ammo while it's still fairly affordable.

Grunt

Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
+1 for Ruger rimfires. A single six is a very versatile piece IMO.
The nice thing about the 10-22 is the boat loads of extras that are made for it. As you progress into shooting and develop your skills, you can turn the little Ruger into your specific rifle, or leave her as is, and stock up on some ammo while it's still fairly affordable.
Yup you can turn a 10/22 from a ok shooter to a good shooter spend $1000 and it still will not shoot as good as my bolt guns. Just never seen the point in buying a 10/22 to turn around and replace the barrel, bolt, trigger, stock.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Yup you can turn a 10/22 from a ok shooter to a good shooter spend $1000 and it still will not shoot as good as my bolt guns. Just never seen the point in buying a 10/22 to turn around and replace the barrel, bolt, trigger, stock.
There ya have it DEFNS. See if cpttango30 will sell you one of his bolt guns and you should be GTG.

Us poor 10-22 owners are stuck with a $1000 bill in the vain attempt to get um to shoot from "ok" to "good"

Grunt

Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You might consider these options:

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/9%20mm/hi_point_9mm.html
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/9mm_carbine/9mm_carbine.html

Both share the same ammo and magazines. They also both carry a lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. Combined retail on the two would be a little over $300.

They're ugly and they feel cheap, but I've got one of their .380 pistols and I've never had it malfunction. It'll put rounds on target at ranges of greater than 25 yards as well. After learning and graduating to bigger and better guns, the cheap Hi-points could be retired to Jeep gun use.

Just my 2 cents.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Closed Thread