Ideas for properly scoping a 10/22? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ideas for properly scoping a 10/22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkknight196 View Post
I sure appreciate all of your timely and expert feedback and recommendations. Yes, I do have a number of firearms and shoot all of them in rotation. Many years ago I owned a bicentennial model 10/22 (1976) and I mounted a cheap scope on it using carpenter's hand tools and my eye for placement and level . During 31 of the last 38 years I was armed with various handguns almost 24/7 in 28 countries around the world so that accounts for my interest in handguns, particularly semi autos. I also have extensive experience with shotguns, assault weapons, and a few submachine guns. But it's clear to me now that I lack the tools and the expertise to properly mount a scope. So here's what I've decided: I ordered a Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7X28mm scope and DNZ Denutz Ruger 10/22 low mount 1" scope tube and got a referral to a very experienced gunsmith. If I'm missing something I would appreciate a heads up in that regard. Oh yeah, I've already got laser stuff for sighting and a membership with a local outdoor range.
The DNZ I have came with instructions that were very clear about no thread locker. My 7 mag hasn't shook it loose so you might be ok on a .22 I believe you will be happy with it, and it is probably much stronger than the receiver holes.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2372 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkknight196 View Post
Based on the scope and mount described in my last note, what kind of stock would you recommend and where would I find one?
It all depends on what you want the rifle to look like and do. Boyds has some very nice laminate stocks for about $100. Other than that there are so many after market stocks and accessories for the 10-22 it is mind boggling. The 10-22 is probably the most accessorized firearm in the world. Pick a theme and go with it. I would also recommend a good trigger or trigger job. Mine is wearing a TRS25 and a modified Butler Creek stock. I did install a Hornet trigger. I would change stocks to a Boyds Evolution if I were to mount a scope but that is my choice and not necessarily yours.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #13

Liked 398 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post

It all depends on what you want the rifle to look like and do. Boyds has some very nice laminate stocks for about $100. Other than that there are so many after market stocks and accessories for the 10-22 it is mind boggling. The 10-22 is probably the most accessorized firearm in the world. Pick a theme and go with it. I would also recommend a good trigger or trigger job. Mine is wearing a TRS25 and a modified Butler Creek stock. I did install a Hornet trigger. I would change stocks to a Boyds Evolution if I were to mount a scope but that is my choice and not necessarily yours.
+1 on the Boyd's stocks. The blazer is a pretty radical looking stock that is intended for off hand type shooting. Very good ergonomics, designed to be scoped, very much copied by everyone else.They have a couple others based on the same idea. The raptor is a more modern version with a flat forearm to allow it to be shot off a bench more effectively. Lots of laminate color options if you like them. If not black undercoat for instant tacticool look...

Personally I like the thumbhole varmitter stock they make. You have to order it uninletted and make the cuts yourself as they don't offer it in 10/22 as a standard option. This makes a very superior bench rifle. Looks best with 20" heavy barrels.

Also check out www.rimfirecentral.com its specific to the 10/22's. Lots of good ideas and advice there.

My personal goto 10/22 is my stainless takedown wearing a Butler creek folding stock. 3lb Trigger job, full size 3x9-40 scoped, bedded action and rear cross pinned. Not quite a bench gun it still makes a ragged 1/2" hole at 50 yards. Once i manage to come up with an aftermarket barrel and machine it to fit the takedown it should do better. Out of the six 10/22's in my gun cabinet it gets twice the trigger time of the others. Just a fun gun to hunt and shoot, very light to carry and the takedown makes it a joy to pack. Who says progress is bad?!?

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-03-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

image-264778401.jpg

here is one of my 10/22's , tacstar stock jut waiting on barrel to come in now