Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Ideas for properly scoping a 10/22? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ideas-properly-scoping-10-22-a-99787/)

drkknight196 11-01-2013 02:25 PM

Ideas for properly scoping a 10/22?

I just picked up a new 10/22 and I want to mount a quality, but affordable (and appropriate), scope on it. I would appreciate very specific info on all the hardware I'll need to mount it from scratch since I've never mounted a scope before. I thank you in advance!

artbrownsr 11-01-2013 02:35 PM

I'll start off by saying a gun vise, two small magnetic levels, a bore site laser, a wall as far as you can get from the muzzle ( an inside barn wall that you are at the other end ) ( within the boresite range), a GOOD set of screwdrivers ( do NOT mess up the threads or heads of the mounting screws.

Clem 11-01-2013 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The last scope I put on a 10/22 was a Weaver 2x7 rimfire scope, in Warne QD mounts, on a 10/22TD. I had to find a Weaver rail that had a nice groove in it so I could use iron sights because I also mounted a Skinner barrel mounted rear sight and a Skinner serrated ramp front. Now the whole thing comes apart, goes back together while retaining zero and shoots very well.

John_Deer 11-01-2013 03:53 PM

You can get mounts for a 10/22 at walmart or your local gun shop. You can use a rail like clem has on his rifle or a two piece weaver mount. You can find the weaver mount size in your owners manual or at the ruger site. Once you know the weaver mount number you can use a cross reference book to use other brands. When working on firearms you need hollow ground screwdrivers. Common household screwdrivers are flat ground. If you are confused at this point I would recommend taking your gun to a gunsmith. It won't cost a lot and you will begin a working relationship with a gunsmith.

dwmiller 11-01-2013 06:36 PM

I use Leopold twist in steel rings and the steel top mount. Hard to beat the quality. External adjustable side to side, helps to zero a scope while retaining full internal adjustment. Rings avalible in 1" and 30mm tube size. Low, Med and high to clear pretty much any objective size. VERY solid system. These won't move on you like a cheap Weaver system will! These cost more than a walmart Weaver mount and rings but you really do get what you pay for! ;)

A couple small magnetic levels and a gunsmiths screwdriver set is all you really need. Blue loctite is also real nice to have. Watch a couple utube videos and instant expert. A laser boresighter is nice the get you on the paper to start, but your iron sights and a vise will work just as well. ;)

3-9x40 is what most people use as a plinking/ hunting scope. I use a 4-24x56 w/30 mm tube for target shooting. This is way overkill on any stock 10/22. Compact length Scopes are perfectly acceptable for a hunter/carry rifle. The BSA sweet 22 Scopes are a great value for the money.

Look at Amazon and read the reviews. Go to cabelas and handle a few Scopes till you find one that looks good for your eyes. Your eyes determine what is a good scope for you. Dont rely on someone elses word on this. This is VERY subjective! That said this is a good starter gunsmith project, very suitable for an armature to do themselves. Hope this helps.

Triumphman 11-02-2013 12:23 AM

First off.
Do you have this Equipment:

Sturdy Work Bench/Table to work on. White Bath Towel. I use a Towel lay under the Gun Vise to catch any Parts that may fall. Gunsmith Screwdrivers or (good) Stanley/Kobalt/Craftsman Tools. Wheeler Torque Driver or Universal Calibrated Wrist. Finger Nail Polish(poorman's Loctite) or Blue/Purple Loctite(no red is to be used). Gun Work/Maintenance Vise to hold Firearm sturdily. Manual Bore Sight Kit or Lazer Bore Light. Patience.
What do you have, so we know where to start with your help. Seeing all the Weapons you have---I can't believe you don't know what you're doing? Have you seen any uTube Videos on Mounting a Scope? Might I suggest this to start and give some familiarity with?

As to Scope, I've got a Bushnell 6-18x50A/O on a Full Custom Target 10/22, on another 10/22 I have a Burris "Rimfire" FullfieldII 3-9x40 on it. Other Guns with other Scopes.

Redfield, Vortex, Bushnell, SightronI or II, Weaver, Burris, Leupold, Mueller, Pentax, Nikon, all make good Scopes with different Powers from Fixed to Adjustable Magnifications. You will need to pick a selection you may want or need, then we'll help with your selection of what's better for the cost and type of shooting you will do.
Scope Size will help with determining Ring selection. Bases come in 1 or 2-Pieces, and also in Aluminum Alloy or Steel, along with a Rail Base type for Ring mounting. Permant Mount Rings or Quick Disconnect Rings. Lots of choices---do you have any preferences as to types you were thinking of?
Del

looksbetterinred 11-02-2013 01:57 AM

Take a look at the BSA Sweet 22. Outstanding optics for and under $100 scope with valid adjustments made for a 22. I got mine from the commies "dicks" for $49.99 on sale.

JTJ 11-02-2013 07:40 PM

All the work of mounting the scope will be a waste of time and money if you are using the factory stock. There is too much drop at the heel to get a solid and consistent cheek weld which is the key to good repeatable accuracy. The stocks were designed for iron sights. Get a stock that is designed for the higher sight plane if you are serious about wanting a good scope system. Now if you are interested in a fast handling bunny buster, get a one piece base and a Bushnell TR25 red dot (integral mount) which sits low enough that you dont have to replace or pad the stock.

drkknight196 11-02-2013 08:38 PM

I sure appreciate all of your timely and expert feedback and recommendations. Yes, I do have a number of firearms and shoot all of them in rotation. Many years ago I owned a bicentennial model 10/22 (1976) and I mounted a cheap scope on it using carpenter's hand tools and my eye for placement and level :rolleyes:. During 31 of the last 38 years I was armed with various handguns almost 24/7 in 28 countries around the world so that accounts for my interest in handguns, particularly semi autos. I also have extensive experience with shotguns, assault weapons, and a few submachine guns. But it's clear to me now that I lack the tools and the expertise to properly mount a scope. So here's what I've decided: I ordered a Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7X28mm scope and DNZ Denutz Ruger 10/22 low mount 1" scope tube and got a referral to a very experienced gunsmith. If I'm missing something I would appreciate a heads up in that regard. Oh yeah, I've already got laser stuff for sighting and a membership with a local outdoor range.

drkknight196 11-02-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1420903)
All the work of mounting the scope will be a waste of time and money if you are using the factory stock. There is too much drop at the heel to get a solid and consistent cheek weld which is the key to good repeatable accuracy. The stocks were designed for iron sights. Get a stock that is designed for the higher sight plane if you are serious about wanting a good scope system. Now if you are interested in a fast handling bunny buster, get a one piece base and a Bushnell TR25 red dot (integral mount) which sits low enough that you dont have to replace or pad the stock.

Based on the scope and mount described in my last note, what kind of stock would you recommend and where would I find one?