I think I am going to build a 10/22 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > I think I am going to build a 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey thanks. Great link, lots of fun to look thru.

So, I think my best bet is to just buy a new rifle, and start modifications from there. Anyone disagree?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:10 AM   #12

If you really only want the receiver, you may look around for a used a rifle and strip it for the receiver. Used ones are still (relatively) cheap.

You can buy a bare receiver that is compatible with all Ruger and after market 10/22 parts from Volquartsen, Tactical Solutions (X Ring), MOA and others, in aluminum and stainless steel. This route may be cost prohibitive though since aside from the MOA offering, they are pretty pricey.

The MOA steel receiver has a rear bedding lug (unlike a factory Ruger), which may cause problems for you given your choice of stocks. Some of the others have the rear lug too. Just something to think about if you choose one of the non Ruger receivers.

Another plus for the used Ruger is that Ruger has recently started using plastic for the trigger housings on new rifles. Guys that mod their own triggers are snapping up older model aluminum trigger ones since the plastic ones apparently don't lend themselves too well for trigger/ sear/ pin work. Aftermarket housings are kind of pricey as well. Brownells used to sell Ruger factory aluminum ones but I don't know what there inventory is now since the plastic ones are now standard.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 12-02-2008 at 03:14 AM.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 AM   #13

Thanks for that. The only site I have seen with the receivers is Tatical Solutions, and those are 350 each. I'm going to give the other sites a shake down, and keep my eye open for a good used rifle.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #14

MOA Corp. has their stainless steel ones for $170 (Brownells.com). Volquartsen will be in the same price range as the Tac Sol, maybe a little cheaper.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #15

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MOA corp only offers a blank stripped receiver. No internals.. Or am I missing something? Or do I order each individual internal part from brownells.com?

Either way, I dont think i'm ready to full scale gunsmith

And everything from the Volquartsen site is 200+. I can get a the full gun for 199 at the local gun shop.

Hmmm..decisions decisions.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #16

Well, I have to say I really love the look of this gun

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1471395&postcount=34

With the 22'' barrel its much better. Imagine the other 18.5'' barrel with out the compensator, or muzzle flash suppressor at the end. To me, its far to stubby and looks extremly ugly.

For a drop in from stock gun, to a new stock, the ATI one is going to be my choice. I think mayber later on after I can get a longer barrel I will look at the Tapco stock. Unless someone can find a barrel for a decent price (I sure cant.. best I can do is 20'' @ $135) I am going to go with the ATI stock.

What do you guys think? Any input? Other ideas?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

it says in the article that all barrels will work stock and aftermarket.The AR22 STOCK (shown with optional pistol grip,buttstock, and VTAC forearm in 9.2' and 12.5")

A new and unique stock for your Ruger 10/22
Doesn't just look like an AR-15, it looks AND feels like an AR-15! In fact, this stock is ergonomically identical to your AR-15 rifle.
Drop in assembly, no gunsmithing required.
Accepts any AR-15 Butt stock, hand grip and Free Float tube, as well as any factory or after market barrels made for the 10/22
Excellent for Training!
3 pieces included: Main Body, Scope Rail & Forearm Adaptor
Note:::: if using 4 rail handguard. A rear sight will not line up with a front sight unless front sight is installed with optional spacer( not yet avaiable)

Ruger & 10/22 are Registered Trade Marks of the Sturm, Ruger & Co., AR-15 is a Registered Trade Mark of Colt Manufacturing Company., AR22 is a Trade Mark of Nordic Components, Inc

its all spelled out for ya right there bro

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but MOA corp only offers a blank stripped receiver. No internals.. Or am I missing something? Or do I order each individual internal part from brownells.com?

Either way, I dont think i'm ready to full scale gunsmith

And everything from the Volquartsen site is 200+. I can get a the full gun for 199 at the local gun shop.

Hmmm..decisions decisions.
Yup, the receivers from MOA, as well as Volquartsen and Tac Sol are just empty receivers. You would have to get a bolt, op rod and trigger pack seperately. That's why I mentioned that this route may be cost prohibitive.

As far as barrels go, unless you really want a heavier after market barrel, keep an eye on the classifieds at Rimfirecentral.com. There's a factory 20" on there now for 50 bucks, and a 22" Green Mountain for $100.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Yup, the receivers from MOA, as well as Volquartsen and Tac Sol are just empty receivers. You would have to get a bolt, op rod and trigger pack seperately. That's why I mentioned that this route may be cost prohibitive.

As far as barrels go, unless you really want a heavier after market barrel, keep an eye on the classifieds at Rimfirecentral.com. There's a factory 20" on there now for 50 bucks, and a 22" Green Mountain for $100.

Wow really? OKay.. I have definitely going to have to check into that after school!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #20

I put a hold on a ruger 10/22 here in town. $226 on hold till friday.

Blued receiver and barrel, metal trigger and guard with a laminated wood stock. Very nice. I think I will pull the trigger on it to start this project off, but I wanted a few more days of research first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post

CAn you link me? I cant find it. I only see the 20'' stock barrel.

Last edited by ArrizX; 12-03-2008 at 12:12 AM.