I need help with a Remington Model 514 bolt action 22 extractor removal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > I need help with a Remington Model 514 bolt action 22 extractor removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need help with a Remington Model 514 bolt action 22 extractor removal

I have been given a Remington 514 single shot bolt action that has a busted extractor on the bolt. I do work on guns on a regular basis but just can't figure out how to remove the extractor to replace it. Does anyone know what the trick is to get it out?

Kevin77355

Last edited by canebrake; 09-02-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #2

Default Exstractor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin77355 View Post
I have been given a Remington 514 single shot bolt action that has a busted extractor on the bolt. I do work on guns on a regular basis but just can't figure out how to remove the extractor to replace it. Does anyone know what the trick is to get it out?
Hey Keven; That was the only flaw to that model, I don't know how to take out the exstractor but I do know how to keep it from happening to it again, They did not leave enough head space for the exstractor when the bolt is fully locked down and it would leave alot of pressure on the exstractor, and they would break, it happend to mine as a kid two time before I figured out what was going on, there is information on the internet about the problem just google Remington 514 for your key word and you will find plenty, I personally just took a small gun file and made the little spot where the exstractor rest when the bolt is fully locked down a little deeper, it takes a little time to do with such a small work space but you can get to it. Hope this helps.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #3

Default Exstractor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin77355 View Post
Hey Keven; Me again, Could not get your question out of my mind, so I started looking around the net myself, I found one artical out of the whole internet, you would think there would be more, anywho, it said there is a small plunger at the back of the bolt that you have to push in with a small screwdriver, and keep it depressed while you lift/pry on the exstractor claw and it should come out, I'm guessing it goes back in the same way, good luck, word of warning the claw and spring along with the plunger may come flying out, so make sure you do this somewhere it will be easy to find any small parts that go flying off of your gun, Let me know how this comes out!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 514 extractor

The remington model 514 has a plunger and spring,you have to take someting like a extremely small flat screwdriver and retract plunger then you can remove extractor.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 AM   #5

Default Remington 514 bolt action

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies, I will be working on it this weekend and will let you know how it turns out.

Rick,
Thanks for the tip on filing the point where the extractor rests in the chamber. I thought that I was onto the right method to get the extractor out but thought that there might be some other trick that I had not thought of but filling the point of pressure is a great tip, thanks again.

I will let both of you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin77355

Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 AM   #6

Default Remington 514

I'm wondering if you would consider selling it since I was raised using a remington model 514 but lost it in housefire. I would like very much to obtain another so that I may teach my kids and others shooting and safety to protect our heritage. Neil seastalkingbear@yahoo.com

Old 10-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #7

Stalkingbear,

Sorry, one of my kids will be using it during small game season this year. I plan on refinishing it for when I have grand kids to teach them as well.

Kevin77355

Kevin77355

Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #8

Rickrem700 and Stalkingbear,

With the combined advice from both of you I was able to remove the extractor with a small screwdriver. Once I had the extractor removed I reshaped it with a dremel tool and then with the dremel I removed some of the side of the chamber where the extractor rest with the bolt fully lock forward. It works like a new gun, perhaps even better than new.

Again, thanks for the advice; my daughter is looking forward to taking squirrels and rabbits with it during this year’s small game season.

Kevin77355

Kevin77355

Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #9

Default 514

Glad we could help.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #10

I have a 514 also that only pulls the spent cartridge partialy out. Could I have a messed up extractor also or could something else be the problem? Any advice would be appreciated. Thom