Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   I need help. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/i-need-help-71083/)

ineverFTF 08-25-2012 04:44 AM

I need help.
 
i Have been thinking about a new 22 for awhile and originally wanted a handgun. Im not 21 and that would make things more complicated. So i figured i would look for a "higher power" rifle for longer shots and more of a challenge when going after squirrel.

I saw a rossi single shot 223 for 250$ is it worth it? With low velocity fmj will the 223 be a good squirrel round?

At only 250$ i would have money to put a decent scope on it if i didn't want to use the factory sights.

Dillinger 08-25-2012 05:01 AM

For a squirrel sized animal?

A .22 magnum, or on the up side a .221 fireball, is MORE than enough. A .223 would be overkill on something that size.

There are a lot of options out there. Price of the weapon is one thing, but price of upkeep and the ammo to feed it is another.

If I can help, please let me know.

JD

NM-LEO 08-25-2012 07:39 AM

Squirrel???

Buy a Ruger 10/22.

You're thinking WAYYYY too big with .223 buddy ....

NM-LEO 08-25-2012 07:40 AM

Or 17 HMR.

ineverFTF 08-25-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NM-LEO
Squirrel???

Buy a Ruger 10/22.

You're thinking WAYYYY too big with .223 buddy ....

I have a good 22 rifle, but that puts my max range at 75ish yards, and squirrel is getting easy to hunt with my rifle, i want more power for longer ranges for more of a challenge. And thanks for the input on the 223

ineverFTF 08-25-2012 03:43 PM

I have a rossi single shot in 20ga. Do they make a 22mag barrel for the single shots?

ineverFTF 08-25-2012 03:49 PM

The top of my rossi says A.rossi.A 20ga 3in mod. Any idea if there is a 22mag barrel for it?


This is NOT the new rossi wizard.

donthav1 08-25-2012 05:06 PM

for another $25 to $35 dollars you could get a Savage Axis or Mossberg ATR in .223. that way you'd have a bolt action with more rounds at the ready than i single shot rossi.

as for the barrle, Rossi's website lists a 23" .22 mag barrel for $169

EDIT: you'd probably hafta email them to find out if it works on your gun

ineverFTF 08-25-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donthav1
for another $25 to $35 dollars you could get a Savage Axis or Mossberg ATR in .223. that way you'd have a bolt action with more rounds at the ready than i single shot rossi.

as for the barrle, Rossi's website lists a 23" .22 mag barrel for $169

EDIT: you'd probably hafta email them to find out if it works on your gun

Thanks i will check it out

orangello 08-25-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineverFTF (Post 915601)
I have a good 22 rifle, but that puts my max range at 75ish yards, and squirrel is getting easy to hunt with my rifle, i want more power for longer ranges for more of a challenge. And thanks for the input on the 223

75 yards is about as far away as i would normally be shooting at a squirrel; your squirrels sound paranoid.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.