Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   I like the Mossberg 151K, any feedback? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/i-like-mossberg-151k-any-feedback-34505/)

davejr 11-17-2010 09:13 PM

I like the Mossberg 151K, any feedback?

Hey guys. What a great site, filled with excellent information. I just stopped in my local shop and saw a like new Mossberg 151K on the rack they just took in on a trade package. The owner didn't have a price on it yet and offered it to me for $125. I was about to purchase a new .22 from another store so he's holding the Mossberg for me until Friday. I really think I should bail on the new gun and purchase this old beauty. It's my first .22, I have all shotguns right now. What do you guys think?

orangello 11-17-2010 09:44 PM

http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/i-have-a-o.f.-mossberg-model-151k-22-long-rifle-with-scope-a...-3793634.html

I found a few hits with dogpile, but couldn't find it on the Mossberg site. Have you checked for the high price on Gunbroker?

davejr 11-17-2010 09:47 PM

Thanks for then info. It looks like I'm right in the middle on price. Right now I have these three guns available: Mossberg 151k for $125, Savage $64 for $100, a new Marlin 60 for $169. Any thoughts?

orangello 11-17-2010 09:50 PM

The only one i have owned of those is the Marlin model 60; it was a great little gun and plenty accurate for squirrel hunting. It was picky about ammo, but many .22's are.

davejr 11-18-2010 10:32 PM

Well, I didn't buy any of the three guns I listed above. I pick up a mint Remington 514 tomorrow morning. :D Once I picked it up I knew that was the one I wanted to use to teach my son how to shoot. I ended up dropping $150 for it but it really is mint and the wood is super nice. It must date back before 1968 because it has no serial numbers. Should be fun to shoot with some CCI cb shorts.

c3shooter 11-18-2010 10:38 PM

I am certain you do not want that yucky old Mossberg. They have not made that model in years, you will never find parts, you will never get your money back. You would be MUCH happeer with a newer rifle.

Send me a message with the dealer's name and address, and I'll take care of that Mossberg for you.

NOTE: Looking for dates of production specs, sights, pictures, etc on Mossberg 22 rifles? Google epix damguy mossberg.

davejr 11-19-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 388661)
I am certain you do not want that yucky old Mossberg. They have not made that model in years, you will never find parts, you will never get your money back. You would be MUCH happeer with a newer rifle.

Send me a message with the dealer's name and address, and I'll take care of that Mossberg for you.

NOTE: Looking for dates of production specs, sights, pictures, etc on Mossberg 22 rifles? Google epix damguy mossberg.

Actually, I was worried about not getting parts for that gun if I bought it. The Remington I bought is old too. Something about the older guns that are really appealing. If you're serious about the dealer, I'll send you the info.

cpttango30 11-19-2010 02:40 AM

Vic Havlin is just about the only name you need to know when talking about old mossy rimfire parts.

Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts

You don't want C3 to get that gun he will just screw up by trying to Mod it our into some new looking Tacticool whizbang crap. I will take it off your hands. PM inbound.

I would go with that old mossy over just about any new rimfire today except for maybe a CZ or the weatherby XXII.

davejr 11-19-2010 06:56 AM

Is the mossberg a better choice than the single shot Remington 514? I pick one of them up tomorrow.

cpttango30 11-19-2010 10:31 AM

Yes I believe it is.

The 514 is a good rifle but, it is single shot and no one likes a single shot exp with a 22lr. There is also 2 514 rifles out there. One Adult rifle and also a boys rifle.

I would still go with that 151k. Head over to rimfirecentral.com and sign up there and head to the mossberg section. They are a great bunch of old mossberg addicts my father is one of the more talkative ones.