Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > I was at Gander tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 302 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default I was at Gander tonight

and a gentleman and his son were in to fill out the paperwork on the Ruger 10/22 that he had ordered. I was over looking at the S&W M&P 15-22s and I didn't think much of it when I overheard 10/22. The sales guy came out of the backroom with a box and this came out of it:

Gander Mountain® > Ruger 10 + 1 Round 22 Long Rifle w/Blue Finish/Tapco Stock - Firearms > Rimfire Rifles > Semi-Auto Action :

I had to ask what the price was and he got it ordered for $299. I got a good look and got to hold it. Makes me wonder about spending another $200 for the S&W when I could just buy the Ruger and buy the mags.

Anybody else seen these or can comment on the quality of the parts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Not to take away from the Smith but those Rugers no matter how you dress them stock wise are great shooters. If it was me I think I'd be more prone to look for a Tapco stock and see if it was cheaper to buy a standard 10-22 and change the stock myself if a tactical type 22 was what I was looking for. Ruger 22's are just too easily changed to suit the shooters needs. Parts are literally everywhere.

Again not to take away from the Smith. I have not seen one of those 22's to not shoot well. And it would be a good way to practice with an AR like weapon while not spending a lot on ammo. I just think the availability of mags and other parts for the 10-22 make it the best choice in a 22LR rifle. The last Ruger I bought was all of 90 bucks (used of course) at a pawn shop. I changed the stock to a Raptor stock and even after a barrel change I wont have 400 in it.THe rifle was fine as is. I just wanted to set up a rifle with a left hand stock.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a few 10/22s and an M&P 15-22. The 10/22 is probably always going to be the standard. Everything else gets compared to them. I like my 15-22 and let's face it; it looks cool.

The 15-22 is plenty accurate and extra mags are affordable. The only advantage I can talk about is the integrated rails. I love a flat-top AR and the 15-22 is flat-top.

I have no functional issues with it through several hundred rounds. My nephews loved it on the range. We also have a 15-22P which is the pistol version and not much looks cooler than that.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The 10/22 is a great little rifle.
If you are looking to practice with something that has similar feel and controls as the ar-15 or m4 you already own, but shoots cheaper 22lr ammo, Id go with the M&P.
If you just want a good shooting, reliable, semi-auto 22lr that is easily modified/accessorized/customized I'd go with the 10/22 in a heartbeat.

If you already have the "guts" of a 10/22 a couple minutes at home with a screwdriver and an allen wrench will allow you to change stocks, barrels, trigger assemblies, etc. They are a great "tinkerers" gun for the guy that loves experimenting with different parts but doesn't own a machine shop.

Did I mention they can be great shooters?
Here are sixteen 5 shot groups at 25 yards with mine.

It likes the cheaper Wolf over Eley....go figure

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 12-31-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The M&P are much more aligned with an AR design so as Gatekeeper said it's a cheap way to practice if you own an AR....or if you are into the AR looks. The Ruger is just "tactical" in design....but in my opinion doesn't compare to the M&P for looks...but of course you pay $200 more for those looks.

I am still a bolt action guy....the AR style guns are fun to shoot....but eventually the tactical look will get tired. Get a Ruger so you can change with the seasons.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I don't need another .22 but the M&P caught my eye recently. Seen it on a few shows. I don't have any other ARs or anything like that. All of mine are wood.

I have purchased in the last couple months a Savage Mark II and a Marlin 795. I purposely stayed away from the 10/22 because the way that I am I will have to upgrade. I just can't see paying $200 for a gun that all I would likely keep is the receiver. I have shot a buddy's 10/22 and they are fun with the 30 rd mags.

After seeing that 10/22 last night, I might be thinking differently. There is a gun show coming up next month and I might see about picking up a used 10/22 to play with. Might even trade off my old deer shotgun to get started.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I had been contemplating the purchase of either a 10-22 or a Colt or S&W .22 AR type platform until recently. Fortunately, some recent shooting experiences helped me guide my plans.

My brother recently picked up one of the Colt M-4 .22 Tactical Rimfires (or whatever the full nomenclature is). I was out shooting with him and put a few magazines through it. Yes, it was neat to shoot, but after firing M-16 variants for the military over the past 22 years, I found myself pulling my elbows in, squaring up in a tactical stance, and generally reverting to the training. Not that it is a bad thing. I just wasn't having great "fun" with it.

By comparison, I took my daughter to the range recently and pulled out my trusty old 9422M (my very first rifle) and started putting rounds down range. Suddenly I was back to my younger days, and I think every time I levered the action, my grin got bigger. Then watching her do the same thing as she shot it, and I couldn't be happier.

I look forward to getting a 10/22 one day in the near future. Perhaps two, since my oldest daughter has taken an interest in shooting. I have also been toying with the idea of taking her to one of the Appleseed Project events. I just don't see a "tactical .22" being in my future though. I suppose it becomes a matter of "to each, their own."

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.