Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (
-   -   I was at Gander tonight (

aandabooks 12-30-2010 02:30 AM

I was at Gander tonight
and a gentleman and his son were in to fill out the paperwork on the Ruger 10/22 that he had ordered. I was over looking at the S&W M&P 15-22s and I didn't think much of it when I overheard 10/22. The sales guy came out of the backroom with a box and this came out of it:

Gander Mountain® > Ruger 10 + 1 Round 22 Long Rifle w/Blue Finish/Tapco Stock - Firearms > Rimfire Rifles > Semi-Auto Action :

I had to ask what the price was and he got it ordered for $299. I got a good look and got to hold it. Makes me wonder about spending another $200 for the S&W when I could just buy the Ruger and buy the mags.

Anybody else seen these or can comment on the quality of the parts?

DrumJunkie 12-30-2010 02:58 AM

Not to take away from the Smith but those Rugers no matter how you dress them stock wise are great shooters. If it was me I think I'd be more prone to look for a Tapco stock and see if it was cheaper to buy a standard 10-22 and change the stock myself if a tactical type 22 was what I was looking for. Ruger 22's are just too easily changed to suit the shooters needs. Parts are literally everywhere.

Again not to take away from the Smith. I have not seen one of those 22's to not shoot well. And it would be a good way to practice with an AR like weapon while not spending a lot on ammo. I just think the availability of mags and other parts for the 10-22 make it the best choice in a 22LR rifle. The last Ruger I bought was all of 90 bucks (used of course) at a pawn shop. I changed the stock to a Raptor stock and even after a barrel change I wont have 400 in it.THe rifle was fine as is. I just wanted to set up a rifle with a left hand stock.

BombDoc 12-30-2010 03:08 AM

I have a few 10/22s and an M&P 15-22. The 10/22 is probably always going to be the standard. Everything else gets compared to them. I like my 15-22 and let's face it; it looks cool.

The 15-22 is plenty accurate and extra mags are affordable. The only advantage I can talk about is the integrated rails. I love a flat-top AR and the 15-22 is flat-top.

I have no functional issues with it through several hundred rounds. My nephews loved it on the range. We also have a 15-22P which is the pistol version and not much looks cooler than that.

Gatekeeper 12-30-2010 03:13 AM

The 10/22 is a great little rifle.
If you are looking to practice with something that has similar feel and controls as the ar-15 or m4 you already own, but shoots cheaper 22lr ammo, Id go with the M&P.
If you just want a good shooting, reliable, semi-auto 22lr that is easily modified/accessorized/customized I'd go with the 10/22 in a heartbeat.

If you already have the "guts" of a 10/22 a couple minutes at home with a screwdriver and an allen wrench will allow you to change stocks, barrels, trigger assemblies, etc. They are a great "tinkerers" gun for the guy that loves experimenting with different parts but doesn't own a machine shop.

Did I mention they can be great shooters?:p
Here are sixteen 5 shot groups at 25 yards with mine.
It likes the cheaper Wolf over Eley....go figure :D

northhike 12-30-2010 06:19 AM

The M&P are much more aligned with an AR design so as Gatekeeper said it's a cheap way to practice if you own an AR....or if you are into the AR looks. The Ruger is just "tactical" in design....but in my opinion doesn't compare to the M&P for looks...but of course you pay $200 more for those looks.

I am still a bolt action guy....the AR style guns are fun to shoot....but eventually the tactical look will get tired. Get a Ruger so you can change with the seasons. :D

aandabooks 12-30-2010 03:38 PM

I don't need another .22 but the M&P caught my eye recently. Seen it on a few shows. I don't have any other ARs or anything like that. All of mine are wood.

I have purchased in the last couple months a Savage Mark II and a Marlin 795. I purposely stayed away from the 10/22 because the way that I am I will have to upgrade. I just can't see paying $200 for a gun that all I would likely keep is the receiver. I have shot a buddy's 10/22 and they are fun with the 30 rd mags.

After seeing that 10/22 last night, I might be thinking differently. There is a gun show coming up next month and I might see about picking up a used 10/22 to play with. Might even trade off my old deer shotgun to get started.

DocWard 12-31-2010 02:24 PM

I had been contemplating the purchase of either a 10-22 or a Colt or S&W .22 AR type platform until recently. Fortunately, some recent shooting experiences helped me guide my plans.

My brother recently picked up one of the Colt M-4 .22 Tactical Rimfires (or whatever the full nomenclature is). I was out shooting with him and put a few magazines through it. Yes, it was neat to shoot, but after firing M-16 variants for the military over the past 22 years, I found myself pulling my elbows in, squaring up in a tactical stance, and generally reverting to the training. Not that it is a bad thing. I just wasn't having great "fun" with it.

By comparison, I took my daughter to the range recently and pulled out my trusty old 9422M (my very first rifle) and started putting rounds down range. Suddenly I was back to my younger days, and I think every time I levered the action, my grin got bigger. Then watching her do the same thing as she shot it, and I couldn't be happier.

I look forward to getting a 10/22 one day in the near future. Perhaps two, since my oldest daughter has taken an interest in shooting. I have also been toying with the idea of taking her to one of the Appleseed Project events. I just don't see a "tactical .22" being in my future though. I suppose it becomes a matter of "to each, their own."