I Don't Even Know What To Say To This "Hunter"... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > I Don't Even Know What To Say To This "Hunter"...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
BTW, I shoot to kill and not eat coyotes and opossum. Coyotes because
we have way to many of them and they are hurting the desired game species.
Opossum because they carry a parasite in their feces that will kill horses,
we have horses.
Well, if you haven't heard, coyotes and opossum are both fine eatin too. I personally have no issues with either of these being killed and not eaten for whatever reason, just sayin you can if you want or if your short on grub.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Interesting comment and view points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Well, if you haven't heard, coyotes and opossum are both fine eatin too. I personally have no issues with either of these being killed and not eaten for whatever reason, just sayin you can if you want or if your short on grub.
I had dog in the Phillipines, greasy not much taste, hot sauce helped. I
assume Coyote would be similar. In a pinch I would have no issue eating
it. Same with eating Possum. But given my options, I'll pass. Rabbit, wild
turkey (both the feathered and liquid forms), tree rats, goose, pheasant,
venison, monkey (again Phillipines), snake, gater, wild boar, the list goes on.

Not any issues eating any of them.

On a tangent, my now 12 year old shot his first deer last year, I told him
your first, I will field dress for you but you will watch and learn. The second
deer you will do with my help, the rest on are yours. So I am dressing his kill
and explaining the process. He asks if I like gutting deer? I asked why he
would ask that question, he replied, "That it looked like I found it
interesting." I told him that no I did not like doing it, but understanding how
to do it, and understanding animal anatomy would make him a better hunter.
But most of all I like the thrill of the hunt and kill, and I very much enjoy
eating the wild game, and dressing the kill is a very important part
connecting those two.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think this discussion is an interesting commentary on how far the
general public is removed from the food they eat on a daily basis.

We raise chickens and beef here on our place. I guess it is a different
mind set. I was asked recently if we named our steers, I replied,
"Yup, ribeye and porterhouse."

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #24

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
As to head shots, i would agree that they should be the goal, but i have missed a few in my day too
LOL well at least you tried. That guy tried one head shot and from then on it was gut shots. For one thing you really mess a good bit of the meat by gut shooting a squirrel. I just think he could have set his blind up a little closer and still got those same shots only he might have been able to nail them in the head. The last squirrel I killed I shot off hand at 50 yards and it was a perfect behind the ear shot. For all you newbies that is the best way to kill a squirrel. Some will say shoot them in the eye but the brain stem is behind the ear and that's where the instant off switch is.

Quote:
I think this discussion is an interesting commentary on how far the general public is removed from the food they eat on a daily basis.
I thought the same thing but I didn't want to make people mad at me. I just wonder how many have actually seen a chicken with it's head cut off. I wonder if they even have heard that expression. I've seen them and they will run for a long time before keeling over. You just hope they don't run under a building while they're going.

Animals don't die all that easy unless you nail them in the brain stem and even then it takes them a minute to realize they're dead sometimes. I could tell some stories but it's almost dinner time so I won't.

Last edited by Jeff56; 11-03-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have hunted in the past and will on occassion hunt in the future. but what i saw, was very unethical and gives responsible hunters a bad name. any animal IMO, even a pest extermination deserves a clean kill. this idiot has no business hunting, period. i was taught from an early age, to only kill what you plan to eat. not for fun. i have racoons, possums and deer that come into my backyard and eat, and no i don't shoot them, there isn't any reason to.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #26

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

My problem is making it "entertainment". I have had to kill animals that were destructive, I have killed them to eat, but I never thought of it as a spectator sport. I get the feeling that to this guy, they were convenient targets, and thought others would enjoy his "sport". I have known folks like that; they are usually pathetic losers.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #27

I watch hunting shows, but they generally contain a seemingly much cleaner and more humane kill. I watched my uncle (6'5" and 275 Lbs) break down and cry, and get sick to his stomach when he gut shot a deer. Killing shouldn't be fun, and hunting isn't about killing. He loves venison, but can't stand to see anything suffer. He almost swore off hunting for good over that one. By the way, he's in his 50's, and has been hunting since he took his first deer at 11. A bad shot isn't a habit for him. He didn't have a clue how it happened, and figured it must have just been a flinch, because his next shot was straight to the head.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I thought the same thing but I didn't want to make people mad at me.
I'm married, I'm used to it... (and no my wife does not visit this forum...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I just wonder how many have actually seen a chicken with it's head cut off. I wonder if they even have heard that expression. I've seen them and they will run for a long time before keeling over. You just hope they don't run under a building while they're going.

Animals don't die all that easy unless you nail them in the brain stem and even then it takes them a minute to realize they're dead sometimes. I could tell some stories but it's almost dinner time so I won't.
I have to deal with 3-6 chickens every year that need to be put down,
usually due to disease, injury or deformity. About half run around the other
just twitch a little. And yes the head is completely severed with an axe.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Nothing wrong with cleaning them out of actual crop land. But squirrels will not hurt buildings if gutters are kept clean and holes kept repaired.

Shooting them because your lazy is wrong
I have to say false to this. Squirrels did $400 damage to my eves on a previously undamaged part of my house. They also continuously chew/gnaw holes in the side of my dad's barn, after he has replaced the boards and closed up the old holes. Squirrels are just like mice and rats, if they want to get in somewhere, and they can't find a way in, they will make their own.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
I have to say false to this. Squirrels did $400 damage to my eves on a previously undamaged part of my house. They also continuously chew/gnaw holes in the side of my dad's barn, after he has replaced the boards and closed up the old holes. Squirrels are just like mice and rats, if they want to get in somewhere, and they can't find a way in, they will make their own.
I've seen the same thing happen. Even with proper prior preparation (good maintenance).