Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > I am so happy!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I am so happy!!!!!

I cruised by Bud's Gun Store today (I'm lucky enough to live in the same town that they have a brick and mortar store). I was looking to pick up a couple of mags for my XD9 and I noticed a gun sitting on the back counter. Low and behold, it was a Remington Nylon 66. Black stock. I learned to shoot on one of these with my dad's that he bought in the Air Force back in the 60's. I asked to look at it.

Turns out, someone had just traded it and a few other guns in on others. It was in fantastic condition for as old as it was. I asked how much he wanted for it and we settled on $175. I got it home and started cleaning it up. I've read and was told by my dad long ago never to completely disassemble one of these. I used a little soap and water to clean the stock and some Remington Action Cleaner to clean out the rest of the areas. I also ran a bore snake through the barrel a few times and then cleaned the barrel off a little bit. Other than a few spots of rust on the receiver cover and a couple of scratches here and there, it was in good shape. The stock has a couple of scratches, but is still complete with no cracks or anything!!! Finally, I wiped it down real good with a Hoppes lubricating pad and it looks awesome! I loaded a few cartridges to see if they would feed and they were ejecting out of the breech just fine!

I guess it's a little silly, but I never thought I'd fine one of these. When my dad passed away, I never found his. My mom was in pretty bad shape and some of our relatives/"friends" took advantage of her when I had to leave to go back to work. This is one of the things that mysteriously disappeared. The only difference is this one has a blued barrel and my dad's had a stainless one. Sadly, I was out in the garage cleaning it up and kept tearing up thinking about all the times my dad and I would go out shooting together.

I'll bring my camera from work tomorrow and post some pictures after I get back from the range.

Thanks for listening. Had to share this with people who would "get it."

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Now, that's the good stuff.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #3

I had a couple of Remington 66's, they are nice little rifles. I kind wish I still had mine, in a way.

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for. Have fun with it, it's alot cheaper to shoot, then other rifles these days.