Hows about some rimfire fun shooting matches?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Hows about some rimfire fun shooting matches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Hows about some rimfire fun shooting matches?

This is what I am looking to do. I know times are tough and people are a little depressed right now. But the weather is nice and we need to get out and shoot. We need to get out and get the kids shooting.

these are fun shoots nothing to get upset about these are for fun and we are going to try and have fun with this.

Here are the classes. When in doubt email or PM me and we will figure it out. The shoots would last one month with specifics posted in a thread. Then we see who does what and we can keep score and see who is the overall winner at the end of the season save October or November. I am headed out for dinner now but I will post more on this topic when I get home.

Stock Class: Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original.

Modified Class: Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed. If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

Open Class: All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class. This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in.

I'll use my remington 597, cci mini mags, tasco 3-9X40 scope.

It's stock, all I've done is polish the guide rods and the bolt. I am going to add a volquartzen hammer and extractor though.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

interested. Stock mossberg m44US not sure what class Id be since its got a 24x scope
Got a modified class 10/22 as well but not sure where the scope "power setting assigned prior to shoot" would place me.
Great idea tango

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 05-13-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #4

I think the mossberg m44 should be in the modified class. Or the open class because of the scope.

Goj you would be in the stock class until the time you changed out the hammer then you would have to move to the modified class. I am still working on how to do this and what not. So bear with me as I am swamped at work for the next 3 weeks. After that I am off for 2 months. Man how lucky am I 2 months paid vacation time plus all holidays and a week off in the spring.

I have a few targets in mind. Right now I am looking at a numbered ring target that we shoot 10 shots for a max of 100 10x It is in PDF format which I can't attach to the post but I will find a link to it and post it. This is the target I am thinking of using for some shoots.

here is another 1" squares this would be 10 for the white and 5 for the black and 0 for anything out side the black.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll be delighted to compete in the modified class with my 10/22s. Question? Does my box stock Kimber topped with Leupold 3x-9x qualify as stock class?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #6

That Kimber is a hard one.

I want to keep this a level playing field and all. But If you have made no mods to the gun to place it in the modified or open class then lets give it a try in the stock class.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #7

Default I'm a sucker for a shoot off?

Curious how we will do the targets by e-mail/posting on site,
or are you suggesting a real live competition shoot somewhere to meet at?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #8

Mike

What we would do is this. You would get your directions in this forum on the first of the month. The we would shoot said target (That would be posted with directions for that month). You would then download target print it out and take it to the range and shoot it. Figure your score and in the format below post it in the results thread with a digital photo or scan of your target.

FTF Name, _______________First name_________
Score ____________Class____________
Rifle____________ Scope___________ Irons________
Ammo_____________ Rest____________
Conditions_______________

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-13-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #9

Also Rest can be anything but a machine rest. You can use

sand bags
Bulls bag
Dog gone good bags/ Cladwell tackdriver bags
Bipod
lead sled
Front rest as long as it does not offer anything but elevation controls.
4x4 lumber
Roll of old carpet
Car door
Car hood

Machine rests (Caldwell rock BR or Firecontrol rest) are allowed in OPEN class ONLY.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-13-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I am in, but I will be getting spanked Ill be shooting either a Stevens 87a, or an old Winchester mod 74 with a slightly pitted barrel. So dont laugh