How much is too much??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > How much is too much??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default How much is too much??

I'm just wondering how long before you need a new barrel? I've got about 10,000 rounds through my 10/22

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Jim Clark Jr told me you would probably never shoot out a 10/22 barrel. With general maintenance it should last a long time. My oldest two are 21 yrs old. Been shot a lot

Old 12-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Liked 2186 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

.22 bores don't get abused much from actual shooting. there isn't a whole lot of high pressure, ultra high velocity, or hard projectiles to wear the bore out. Crwons may need recutting, lead will build up, you could get an obstructed bore that causes a ring in the bore. But I'd bet most barrels that end up sunsuitable is from neglect, such as being left outside, having moisture in the bore and rusting, or similar problems, rather than wearing them out in actual shooting.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

That's too many rounds. I suggest that you package the gun up and send it to me for a decent burial.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree. most 22's will last several generations of shooters if properly maintained.

do 22 barrels wear out? yes they can. if accuracy has fallen off to a huge degree and it's been properly cleaned and has no lead build-up in the barrel, then it's possible it may be time for a new barrel.

i have an older Marlin 60 that i purchased used and had been shot a bunch if it's condition was an indicator of that, that i refurbished. it still can shoot better than me on most days. it's about 35 years old and is still plenty accurate. it's still easily Minute Of Squirrel at 50 yards!

Old 12-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

It is just getting broke in.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopertrooper View Post
I'm just wondering how long before you need a new barrel? I've got about 10,000 rounds through my 10/22
until it starts doing patterns from the rest with quality ammo on a clean cold barrel. Read: longer than it will take Al Sharpton to apologize for Tawanna Crawley.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #8

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Ive heard of 10/22 barrels that have been maintained still going strong after 100,000 rds

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #9

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I don't know about ruger but i have an old mossberge and sons bolt action 22 that me granpa had when he was 12 then it went to my father then to me. It has a nice patena to it god only knows how many rounds it has through it we all kept it clean and it still shoots qaurter size groupings out to 50 yards havent shot any farther then that with it. We good care a ruger should last a good long time ive heard they have real good rifles.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

My grandkids are shooting the Marlin 39A that Mom bought Dad for their first wedding anniversary.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.