How do you keep your rounds dry?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > How do you keep your rounds dry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default How do you keep your rounds dry?

I keep Remington subsonic .22lr rounds loaded in my mags & my mags stayed in my glove box but today after installing new sights few would fire & even fewer would fire with any real velocity. What should I do to preserve my ammo but also keep it readily available?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo
I keep Remington subsonic .22lr rounds loaded in my mags & my mags stayed in my glove box but today after installing new sights few would fire & even fewer would fire with any real velocity. What should I do to preserve my ammo but also keep it readily available?
I keep mine in a drawer by my bed. I just take some silica gel/salt packets, and throw them on top of my boxes of ammo, or beside my mags. They work pretty well

Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

SilicaGelPackets.com releases Silica Gel products to help gun enthusiasts protect their guns and ammunition against moisture damage like corrosion, mold, and mildew.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/1/prweb9055739.htm

Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Liked 1558 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Silica Gel works great, but if you are a tightwad like I am you can use kitty litter in perforated cans to perform the same task. I use a can with a screw-on lid (pvc cleaner cans actually) drill about half a million 1/16" holes in it, fill it full and let it do its thing. (ok maybe not quite half a million) If you feel like they are getting water logged, you can throw the thing in the oven for a couple of hours at 300 degrees F. and it is all reconstituted.

A glove box is a nasty place to store ammo. Rapid changes in temperature and humidity can spoil you ammo rapidly. If you keep it in a climate controlled room, it will just about last forever. It seems that .22 ammo is getting worse and worse for misfires and squibs anyway, but that is a different story.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #5

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

I use old ammo cans. If you think the seal is shot, put a thin bead of silicon caulk around it. Toss in a hand warmer, they eat oxygen and close it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Another poormans trick that works surprisingly well is pieces of corrugated cardboard. When I worked in constriction, we used to keep chunks of it in the screw containers to keep them from getting corroded.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #7

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm gonna try silica first & see if that doesn't satisfy me.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

While not in the correct forum I think it's still relevant- I also keep .357 mags in the glove box, are they prone to the same problem in his high Memphis humidity?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #9

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

when I go camping I usually take my 22 (if I can) and I just keep the ammo in one of those plastic fresh seal coffee containers, or if I forget that I usually take a zip lock bag for socks so I just throw it in there with them. My brother in law got a water proof camera case that he keeps mags in for his 22 pistol when he's go fishing it seems to work pretty well.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
when I go camping I usually take my 22 (if I can) and I just keep the ammo in one of those plastic fresh seal coffee containers, or if I forget that I usually take a zip lock bag for socks so I just throw it in there with them. My brother in law got a water proof camera case that he keeps mags in for his 22 pistol when he's go fishing it seems to work pretty well.
I thought of trying that, I'd probably put the desiccant in there with it for good measure. Someone also mentioned the idea of a peanut butter jar.