Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   How do you keep your rounds dry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/how-do-you-keep-your-rounds-dry-57577/)

Scratchammo 02-12-2012 09:35 PM

How do you keep your rounds dry?

I keep Remington subsonic .22lr rounds loaded in my mags & my mags stayed in my glove box but today after installing new sights few would fire & even fewer would fire with any real velocity. What should I do to preserve my ammo but also keep it readily available?

fatmidgets 02-12-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo
I keep Remington subsonic .22lr rounds loaded in my mags & my mags stayed in my glove box but today after installing new sights few would fire & even fewer would fire with any real velocity. What should I do to preserve my ammo but also keep it readily available?

I keep mine in a drawer by my bed. I just take some silica gel/salt packets, and throw them on top of my boxes of ammo, or beside my mags. They work pretty well

Ranger-6 02-12-2012 09:55 PM

SilicaGelPackets.com releases Silica Gel products to help gun enthusiasts protect their guns and ammunition against moisture damage like corrosion, mold, and mildew.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/1/prweb9055739.htm

Chainfire 02-12-2012 10:05 PM

Silica Gel works great, but if you are a tightwad like I am you can use kitty litter in perforated cans to perform the same task. I use a can with a screw-on lid (pvc cleaner cans actually) drill about half a million 1/16" holes in it, fill it full and let it do its thing. (ok maybe not quite half a million) If you feel like they are getting water logged, you can throw the thing in the oven for a couple of hours at 300 degrees F. and it is all reconstituted.

A glove box is a nasty place to store ammo. Rapid changes in temperature and humidity can spoil you ammo rapidly. If you keep it in a climate controlled room, it will just about last forever. It seems that .22 ammo is getting worse and worse for misfires and squibs anyway, but that is a different story.

jpattersonnh 02-12-2012 10:46 PM

I use old ammo cans. If you think the seal is shot, put a thin bead of silicon caulk around it. Toss in a hand warmer, they eat oxygen and close it.

Cattledog 02-12-2012 11:02 PM

Another poormans trick that works surprisingly well is pieces of corrugated cardboard. When I worked in constriction, we used to keep chunks of it in the screw containers to keep them from getting corroded.

Scratchammo 02-13-2012 01:14 AM

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm gonna try silica first & see if that doesn't satisfy me.

Scratchammo 02-13-2012 03:16 PM

While not in the correct forum I think it's still relevant- I also keep .357 mags in the glove box, are they prone to the same problem in his high Memphis humidity?

unclebear 02-13-2012 03:21 PM

when I go camping I usually take my 22 (if I can) and I just keep the ammo in one of those plastic fresh seal coffee containers, or if I forget that I usually take a zip lock bag for socks so I just throw it in there with them. My brother in law got a water proof camera case that he keeps mags in for his 22 pistol when he's go fishing it seems to work pretty well.

Scratchammo 02-13-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 707315)
when I go camping I usually take my 22 (if I can) and I just keep the ammo in one of those plastic fresh seal coffee containers, or if I forget that I usually take a zip lock bag for socks so I just throw it in there with them. My brother in law got a water proof camera case that he keeps mags in for his 22 pistol when he's go fishing it seems to work pretty well.

I thought of trying that, I'd probably put the desiccant in there with it for good measure. Someone also mentioned the idea of a peanut butter jar.