Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > How do I restore a 1938 .22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How do I restore a 1938 .22?

I just inherited my great-fathers .22 and am looking to restore it. My dad grew up hunting with it and after he moved out it fell into disrepair and I am looking to fix it up for him. The barrel reads:

J. Stevens arms Company
Chicopee Falls mass. USA
22 short, long or long rifle
Springfield Model 15

It is a bolt action model. Anyone who could give me advice/instructions for restoring it or even if you know of a website to go to I would appreciate it. My personal email is catch17@gmail.com, feel free to email me with relevant remarks. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I see you have had a few views, but no replies. I believe it might be that you haven't asked a very in depth question. I, unfortunately, am on a work computer that filters all hosted images, so I can't tell if you posted any pictures, so I apologize if the information is right in front of everyone else.

But, what are you looking to do to it? Do you want to strip it down, clean it up and reblue the barrel / action / etc.? Any good gunsmith can do that for you. Are you looking at having the stock reworked, or a new one made to replicate the one originally on the rifle when it came off the shelf? Again, any good gunsmith can probably recommend a good woodworker for stock work in your area.

Just some random thoughts -

JD

Old 06-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Yeah Lets See Some Pictures So We Know What Kind Of Disrepair We're Dealing With. A Good Place To Start Would Be E-gunparts.com. They Have All The Parts For This Model Except The Barrel/action.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.