How do I clean a Winchester Model 250
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > How do I clean a Winchester Model 250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How do I clean a Winchester Model 250

My father passed on his Winchester Model 250 .22 Lever action rifle to me last night. I contacted Winchester about a manuel but I would like to shoot this weekend. How do I clean this thing? I can not figure out how to clean most anything except the barrel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

blow it out with brake cleaner and reoil it up

Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
blow it out with brake cleaner and reoil it up
Wish I would have read this about minutes ago. I ended up cleaning it with sample swabs from Bear Metals. They worked great but your way would have been much easier.

When cleaning with brake cleaner is there any specific areas to avoid?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yea...... your eyes, you can buy this stuff called gun scrubber and pay 3 times as much but its the same stuff, just reoil and wipe everything down afterwards because it removes all dirt as well and the remaining oil,

Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1627 View Post
My father passed on his Winchester Model 250 .22 Lever action rifle to me last night. I contacted Winchester about a manuel but I would like to shoot this weekend. How do I clean this thing? I can not figure out how to clean most anything except the barrel.
These are great little guns. I have one along with it's twin brother Model 255 in .22WMR. These seem to be becoming quite rare nowadays because I don't see them popping up at guns shows anymore. I had one about 25 years ago that I traded away when I wanted an O/U skeet gun. Of course I was kicking myself afterwards, however, I stumbled across one a few years back and immediately grabbed it. I won't make that mistake again............
Take down is very easy on these. Remove the magazine tube and push out the horizontal pin in the side of the receiver, pull down the lever and the whole trigger group will come right out in your hand as a complete subassembly. Now you can get in there to clean and lube everything properly. There are no little springs or other parts you need worry about losing when you take this apart.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Last edited by Zappa; 02-29-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Don't use brake cleaner, it forces oils out of the metal and will damage some finishes.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Don't use brake cleaner, it forces oils out of the metal and will damage some finishes.
I've used it on guns worth more then my house and aint hurt a finish on it yet, even the case harden ones have not changed long as you wipe them back down, been doing this for 30 years

Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I've used it on guns worth more then my house and aint hurt a finish on it yet, even the case harden ones have not changed long as you wipe them back down, been doing this for 30 years
Good to know.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
These are great little guns. I have one along with it's twin brother Model 255 in .22WMR. These seem to be becoming quite rare nowadays because I don't see them popping up at guns shows anymore. I had one about 25 years ago that I traded away when I wanted an O/U skeet gun. Of course I was kicking myself afterwards, however, I stumbled across one a few years back and immediately grabbed it. I won't make that mistake again............
Take down is very easy on these. Remove the magazine tube and push out the horizontal pin in the side of the receiver, pull down the lever and the whole trigger group will come right out in your hand as a complete subassembly. Now you can get in there to clean and lube everything properly. There are no little springs or other parts you need worry about losing when you take this apart.
Thats the exact info I need. Thank You much!

Thanks for the responses to others!