Hoppe's Bore Snakes?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Hoppe's Bore Snakes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default Hoppe's Bore Snake Help

Alright, I got a few questions. Has anyone used one of these recently for their .22 rifle(s)? I bought one two days ago for my new 10/22 and although the package says itll clean a .22, 223, and 5.56mm, its not wanting to pass clear threw the barrel! I belive its the brush portion of the snake thats getting stuck. Did I miss somthing??? ANY help with this is much appreciated.

Note I never forced it threw the barrel for fear of breaking the string and then never being able to remove it.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 08-29-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

they are good for one maybe two passes then you are just dragging dirt threw yoru barrel. I would never clean my rimfire with a brush anyways. Hell I don't clean them unless accuracy suffers or they stop functioning. Last time I cleaned my my rifles was about a 1 to a 1 and a half ago. No loss in accuracy yet.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'll run them through a pistol or rifle a couple of passes at the range to just clean the general crud out. I don't use them on a .22 anything.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #4

Alright, sounds good. Thanks guys. From what I had read from ruger and a number of other sites, they spray a protective substance inside the barrel to protect it during shipping and they recomend you clean the barrel prior to break in. So Ill be taking back the snake I apparently wasted $15 on. Hoppe's Gun Snake -1.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Like CA said good for clearing out the crud on the range before firing and after a day of shooting. But anything beyond that I prefer a good old fashion rod.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #6

I have one for my 22.
It takes a little force the first time, but everytime after that its been good.
The string is strong, so it wont break.

S.S.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The first time you use it, you will be imbedding crap into it. The next time you use it, you will be putting crap back in your barrel...I just don't see the point of the "Bore Snake" unless you can clean it - throw it in the wash? WTF? For what it costs you can buy a whole Outers Cleaning kit and a bag of 200 cotton patches...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

the first time you use it the bristles will be very tight. will loosen up after a few pulls. I have snakes in every caliber I shoot and like using between range sessions.
After a wet day hunting I use before casing rifle to remove any moisture in the bore. Usually place a few drops of clp or rem oil on the tail to prevent rust from forming. Quick and effective.
For serious cleaning/copper removal IMO you need to break out the rod and patches.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

I appreciate everyones input. I guess I thougth the snake would be a shortcut and I was wrong . Ill take it back and get a one piece graphite cleaning rod. Thanks again fellas!

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 578

I wouldn't take it back,just keep it.They are handy to have and carry in your range bag. I use them all the time in all the different calibers I shoot. Now when it is time for a good cleaning,go with a rod and patches,but the Boresnake is a good product to carry with you.