Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Hoppe's Bore Snakes? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/hoppes-bore-snakes-17472/)

BigByrd47119 08-29-2009 12:29 AM

Hoppe's Bore Snake Help

Alright, I got a few questions. Has anyone used one of these recently for their .22 rifle(s)? I bought one two days ago for my new 10/22 and although the package says itll clean a .22, 223, and 5.56mm, its not wanting to pass clear threw the barrel! I belive its the brush portion of the snake thats getting stuck. Did I miss somthing??? ANY help with this is much appreciated.

Note I never forced it threw the barrel for fear of breaking the string and then never being able to remove it.

cpttango30 08-29-2009 12:49 AM

they are good for one maybe two passes then you are just dragging dirt threw yoru barrel. I would never clean my rimfire with a brush anyways. Hell I don't clean them unless accuracy suffers or they stop functioning. Last time I cleaned my my rifles was about a 1 to a 1 and a half ago. No loss in accuracy yet.

CA357 08-29-2009 01:41 AM

I'll run them through a pistol or rifle a couple of passes at the range to just clean the general crud out. I don't use them on a .22 anything.

BigByrd47119 08-29-2009 03:18 AM

Alright, sounds good. Thanks guys. From what I had read from ruger and a number of other sites, they spray a protective substance inside the barrel to protect it during shipping and they recomend you clean the barrel prior to break in. So Ill be taking back the snake I apparently wasted $15 on. Hoppe's Gun Snake -1.

cpttango30 08-29-2009 04:10 PM

Like CA said good for clearing out the crud on the range before firing and after a day of shooting. But anything beyond that I prefer a good old fashion rod.

Shotgun Shooter 08-29-2009 04:14 PM

I have one for my 22.
It takes a little force the first time, but everytime after that its been good.
The string is strong, so it wont break.

S.S.

RL357Mag 08-29-2009 07:10 PM

The first time you use it, you will be imbedding crap into it. The next time you use it, you will be putting crap back in your barrel...I just don't see the point of the "Bore Snake" unless you can clean it - throw it in the wash? WTF? For what it costs you can buy a whole Outers Cleaning kit and a bag of 200 cotton patches...

Gatekeeper 08-29-2009 08:26 PM

the first time you use it the bristles will be very tight. will loosen up after a few pulls. I have snakes in every caliber I shoot and like using between range sessions.
After a wet day hunting I use before casing rifle to remove any moisture in the bore. Usually place a few drops of clp or rem oil on the tail to prevent rust from forming. Quick and effective.
For serious cleaning/copper removal IMO you need to break out the rod and patches.

BigByrd47119 08-29-2009 09:10 PM

I appreciate everyones input. I guess I thougth the snake would be a shortcut and I was wrong :p. Ill take it back and get a one piece graphite cleaning rod. Thanks again fellas!

Txhillbilly 08-30-2009 12:00 AM

I wouldn't take it back,just keep it.They are handy to have and carry in your range bag. I use them all the time in all the different calibers I shoot. Now when it is time for a good cleaning,go with a rod and patches,but the Boresnake is a good product to carry with you.