Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Homebuilt $100 Backstop for .22lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Man you could have spend $6 a bale on 8 to 10 2 wire hay bails and had a better looking more affective back stop in my eyes. I dislike shooting SOLID HARD objects with firearms just me YMMV.

how is a pile of dirt not movable? Got a shovel and a wheel barrow or truck?

Worst come to worse I would put in 2 8' 4x4 posts 6 to 8' apart and the screwed the 2x8 to the outside and filled it with sand or dirt. Shoot a hole in one pop it off and pop on a new one.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #12

A pile of dirt is more movable than 50 cinder blocks, some hollow and some solid?

Bales of hay for a .223? If you don't like my backstop, go spend $6 and shovel away. Please don't think i was making it law that you make one of these. This is the best solution for where i am and I am sure someone else will find the information useful. As for cosmetics, like i said, it can be painted..these were pictures of it within an hour of the initial construction...good grief.

There is actual science and research in this concept by Purdue university shooting range. You don't have to like it, but don't insult my intelligence. As i mentioned, the wood is free to me, dirt is not and would actually cost me much more, since cheap seems to bee what you prefer. I even mentioned that i may need to make a dirt pile now that i got a .308 for Christmas. For .22 and .223, this works fine and was a very quick effective solution.

As for shooting solid hard objects, you haven't researched the effects of a bullet on concrete at the angles I have chosen here. There is no ricochet...starting to feel like a broken record. A .22lr will actually create a molten concrete puddle that will embed itself in the lead at point blank range. At the yardages we shoot, the .22 just hits the concrete and falls behind the pink foam. The .223, if it gets through the foam only hits and falls with more lead splatter on the back of the foam...jacket lying in one piece on the ground in front of the concrete. Solid hard objects are not all the same when it comes to bullet behavior. On concrete, ricochet is only a player at VERY shallow bullet approach angles..there are no angles approaching that in my backstop. Find the Purdue PDF file and look into it for yourself.

Anybody else want to hop on the "gee what a stupid idea" bandwagon? For those that find this useful, you're welcome....that was my intent.

Last edited by Ronbo; 12-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #13

Liked 187 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
1. A pile of dirt isn't an option at this time. There is one of those at the conservation Dept. shooting range 25 miles away.
I guess that rules out the Bucksnort club ranges on UU as well.
That's a shame. There are some mighty nice folks out there.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #14

Yeah..my 12 hour swing shift schedule makes a lot of driving to shoot pretty rough. I couldn't even get time off for deer season, but i lucked out and worked night shift on friday. I was able to get into the woods by 7:50 am and got my buck at 8:35. Otherwise, it would have been just Sunday due to my work schedule.

That's why i wanted a backyard mini range for me and my wife to use at every open hour we can. It's a 30 second walk to our benches and an trip or two for sandbags, ammo, etc. Beats driving 25 minutes each way.

We will be using it more over Christmas break i hope since we can also shoot clay birds there, then put tiny orange ceramic shards in the rifle backtop staples and explode them with the rifles at 50 yards....one of my favorite kinds of plinking with the .22 and the .223. I can also safely shoot the .308 at 50 yards there. I sighted it in at 30 yards into my woodpile today..it's a shooter too!

Last edited by Ronbo; 12-04-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A friend of mine used to work at a place that used large plastic barrels for something (about a foot taller than a 55-gal. oil drum and half again as wide). He could get them for free when they were done with them, so he set up about 8 of them filled with sand on the back of his property. Then he dumped sand in the voids between the barrels and he had a compacted sand pit contained with the barrels. A 4 x 8 sheet of plywood attached to the front (later set into a wooden frame a few inches in front of the barrels) was perfect for attaching targets and easily replaced after a few thousand rounds. Nothing ever made it through the barrels and there was a LOT of ammo expended into them before any needed to be replaced.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #16

Default .308 recovered from same backstop

after much research and a small adjustment in the amount of wood in front of the backstop ( one extra piece of 3/4 particle board), here's a .308 winchester power point round recovered from the backstop, shot at 50 yards. There was minimal damage to the concrete and the bullet was simply laying just as you see it on a lower 8x16 block that serves as the base for the 4 inch solid blocks.

Here's the target.

Now i am happy that i can shoot all my rifles into this safely and with minimal maintenance.