High Standard "Victor" machinegunning
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > High Standard "Victor" machinegunning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default High Standard "Victor" machinegunning

I have a High Standard "Victor". Bought it used. It was in great shape. Fired it hundreds of times. I mistakenly ran some CCI mini mags through it. Started having failure to feed problems. Gave it a good cleaning.
Today was the first chance to get some .22 ammo. American Eagle 45 gr CPRN subsonic at 970 fps. Fired a couple shots then buuuurp 4. Cleared malfunction.
Tried again same result including a failure to eject and feed.
Put it away.
Talked to my smith and he will look at it, but is worried about parts available.
I am guessing a worn sear.
Any experienced comments would be appreciated.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7468 Times on 4072 Posts
Likes Given: 15369

Subsonic ammunition may not sufficiently cycle an automatic.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 01-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #3

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Brownells sells aftermarket parts.

I had a Citation come into the shop where the trigger corroded to the sear bar. Could not get it apart as a unit. Had to break the sear bar, then the trigger came out. Got the remnant from the trigger OK, and got a new bar for $16. Back together it has a super trigger that functioned perfectly.

Gun exteriorly was mint, but guy "needed money". Yeah, he knew it was messed up and dumped it at the shop. Cheap fix, but not for folks with hammer hands. Honks me off when busy and people come in to dump stuff with problems or after they break 'em or lose parts. Can't check every one as they come in for function, so I get to fix more than I like. Got a 600 Rem rifle once where the idiot that owned it adjusted the trigger to unsafe, got a Model 7 from an individual sale, in similar. I made them all safe, but the average Joe? He'd get a surprise..............and that's why no matter what, the 4 rules need to be followed.

HS parts, even original, are available. of course cost might be a bit crazy....but the Victor model was popular and not too old, should be one of the easier rigs to get parts for. Losing major parts on older stuff is where it gets $$$.

Last edited by Hookeye; 01-12-2014 at 06:37 PM.
25-5 Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Brownells sells aftermarket parts.

I had a Citation come into the shop where the trigger corroded to the sear bar. Could not get it apart as a unit. Had to break the sear bar, then the trigger came out. Got the remnant from the trigger OK, and got a new bar for $16. Back together it has a super trigger that functioned perfectly.

Gun exteriorly was mint, but guy "needed money". Yeah, he knew it was messed up and dumped it at the shop. Cheap fix, but not for folks with hammer hands. Honks me off when busy and people come in to dump stuff with problems or after they break 'em or lose parts. Can't check every one as they come in for function, so I get to fix more than I like. Got a 600 Rem rifle once where the idiot that owned it adjusted the trigger to unsafe, got a Model 7 from an individual sale, in similar. I made them all safe, but the average Joe? He'd get a surprise..............and that's why no matter what, the 4 rules need to be followed.

HS parts, even original, are available. of course cost might be a bit crazy....but the Victor model was popular and not too old, should be one of the easier rigs to get parts for. Losing major parts on older stuff is where it gets $$$.
Thanks! I was worried about the parts. Haven't taken it in yet. It is such an accurate pistol, I'd hate to part with it. The three and four round bursts would be fun if I had control of when it happens.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Back in the 70's when I used to shoot on a team, a guy walked into the range on a practice night, with a "liberated" High Standard. Meaning, he appropriated the parts because he worked there, and assembled a gun at home. That was his first night to fire the thing, and it immediately went into full-auto. Peppered the ceiling. With every mag-full. Couldn't stop it from malfunctioning at the range, so he took it home. Never saw that gun again.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #6

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My dad's 6" Match Target Woodsman went full auto many moons ago.
New sear fixed it.