Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   High-end .22 rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/high-end-22-rifle-69481/)

Pekin7 08-02-2012 08:11 PM

High-end .22 rifle

I'm planning to buy a high-end (at least for me) .22 rifle just for plinking and informal target shooting at my local club. By high-end, I'm talking no more than $600.... I'm thinking I'd like to use open sites for a while, but I'll likely need to put a scope on it before too long... I'm 68 years old and I'm showing the beginnings of cataracts. I'm looking for your suggestions on which rifles to consider.

Vincine 08-02-2012 08:22 PM

I think CZ makes .22lrs for around that much. Maybe you can get something used for that much that can thread needles.

Me? I've a stock Savage MkII that shoots way better than I can. You could buy two for $600. Actually, I think the weakest link, besides the shooter, will be the ammunition, not the rifle. It won't make any cent$ to get a 'high-end' rifle if your not going to feed it lot$ of 'high-end' ammo.

kytowboater 08-02-2012 08:24 PM

Ruger 10/22 for $230. Upgrade the barrel trigger etc. Leaves money for glass an plenty of ammo. I'm I correct in this line of thinking?

tacticalfun 08-02-2012 08:26 PM

Magnum research .22. Lr/wmr will be the best in that price range. But the downside is it has a fixed scope mount. So youll need to scope it. I can shoot a face off a penny with mine at 75yards with my nikkon .22 scope

tacticalfun 08-02-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater
Ruger 10/22 for $230. Upgrade the barrel trigger etc. Leaves money for glass an plenty of ammo. I'm I correct in this line of thinking?

I love my rugers and for 600$ youll have a mean rifle

Blueguns 08-02-2012 08:50 PM

CZ 512 is pretty nice.

DustyDoll 08-02-2012 09:39 PM

I just bought a CZ 455 22lr but it has no sights (it's a Varmit) and my scope has not arrived yet. I haven't found much on the forum about that model, but it seems that the CZs are supposed to be pretty accurate. My other choice was one of the old Winchester 52 series but I wasn't ready to fork out that much money on a 22. Once I get the CZ set up and get a little time in with it, I will report back. Right now, I am thinking that the finish could be better and the action seems a little rough. Also want to replace the OEM magazine and well which appear to be plastic! It's a heavy barrel which I like....I seem to be steadier with it. I spent more on the scope (Leupold) than the rifle, figuring that if I didn't like the rifle, I would still have a decent scope to mount on a different gun. Twisted logic...maybe...but I never claimed to be logical! LOL

tacticalfun 08-02-2012 09:40 PM

Cz's are great rifles but ive never seen one in competition to compare it to anything else

pe175 08-03-2012 06:24 AM

Browning sa 22. Accurate, light, and reliable. And i believe its right in your price range.

Pekin7 08-05-2012 01:50 AM

Thanks everyone... Yesterday, I looked at nearly everything you guys suggested and decided on the CZ 453 Varmit with the trigger set and heavy barrel. I put a Redfield Revolution scope on it and took it to the range today for the first couple hundred rounds. At this point, I'd say I'm pretty happy with the choice. I really like the adjustable trigger and set feature for targets. Thanks for the input