Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   And here's why the .22 ammo is MIA... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/heres-why-22-ammo-mia-105115/)

Westy 03-15-2014 03:03 PM

And here's why the .22 ammo is MIA...

2 Attachment(s)
I ran down to Cabela's door buster sale today because their sales flyer had 1,000 round packs of .22 M22 ammo for $44.95. (Regular price is $49.99, like you can actually find it for that...)

Doors open at 8:00, so I get there around 7:40 and the line is long to get in. (See pics). They're handing out tickets and they run out 5 people from me. EVERYONE was their for the .22 ammo. The line was twice as long behind me.

It was worse than any black Friday sale I've ever seen. With this kind of sales going on, you will never see .22 ammo back to regular availability.

Sadly, I think we better get used to paying $100.00 for a 500 round brick.

FrontierTCB 03-15-2014 03:10 PM

And here's why the .22 ammo is MIA...

I bet the line would have been just as long if they had ran an ad just announcing they were going to have a bunch of .22 ammo at regular price. No sale needed these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

John_Deer 03-15-2014 03:15 PM

Most of the LGS in this area have a 22 LR ammo. 22LR ammo isn't cheap when you find it locally. Personally, I would rather pay $9 for a box of Eley match ammo than $6.50 for a box of Remington Thunderbolts.

GTX63 03-15-2014 03:23 PM

I got the same ad and knew better than to take the chance. Gander Mountain sends the same garbage ads for 22lr and I know darn well they haven't have a 22lr on their shelves since the janitor mopped up a loose round last November. It is a blatant case of bait and switch to get you in the store. The ad guys should be ashamed to put stuff like that in the paper when they know what is going on.

R1D2 03-15-2014 03:41 PM

Sad this day and age.

scarletma 03-15-2014 08:25 PM

Now that is a line!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX63 (Post 1530762)
I got the same ad and knew better than to take the chance. Gander Mountain sends the same garbage ads for 22lr and I know darn well they haven't have a 22lr on their shelves since the janitor mopped up a loose round last November. It is a blatant case of bait and switch to get you in the store. The ad guys should be ashamed to put stuff like that in the paper when they know what is going on.

WOW! I cannot believe that photo. Today was my Walmart day and since I have so many with in 25-30 miles of me I could have bought all I wanted to day at the 26 bucks a box for 550 Federals and 11 box for Rem 225's They had huge inventories today but really only get it a few times a month and sell out quick. No one would wait in a line like that here for 22 or 9!
I guess if you are in a rural area and only have a few stores there are more people wanting the limited inventory so gun sales would have to be down.
If you are patient here (south Florida) you can get all you can shoot within a month no worries. Same old limit per store as 3 total boxes per customer per day. Note the stores today had the PMC boxes of 250 rds of 9mm and 45's and you could buy 3 boxes of those if you needed them

Westy 03-15-2014 08:50 PM

I usually hit the Walmart in the town where I work early on the two days when they get their shipments and the last month has been dry.

rn-cindy 03-15-2014 09:05 PM

Ammo rep at my LGS says it will be about a year before .22 availability / price is back to normal. Ammo plants have been working 24/7 to try and keep up with demand of other calibers, rimfire rounds have been low on their priority list. He said it takes about 2 yrs to bring additional equipment online, due to the fact it is made to order. And they are concerned that when the horders lose interest, they will be stuck with equipment/floorspace they don't need.

rn-cindy 03-15-2014 09:11 PM

Ive been to that Cabela's...It's probably the most awesome outdoor store i have ever been to...A couple yrs ago i had to attend medical equipment seminar in Albert Lea (just south of there). Ohio has one in Columbus, but it's a "mini store" or something, alot smaller.

fredmueller 03-15-2014 09:11 PM

I see no reason why the ammo manufacturers can't ramp up their production of 22LR! Then again, maybe they have and places like Gander Mountain are hoarding it.