Henry vs Marlin - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Henry vs Marlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Okay, I've looked all over my Henry Golden Boy and the only plastic I can find is the follower in the spring tube. I know the "brass" is a zinc/brass alloy over steel receiver parts but that is a long way from plastic! As for build quality; the one thing that all who inspect my Henry notice is the precision of it's construction and the solidity of it's feel. This is not just from gun people, but from neighbors and Lodge brothers who have no particular firearms experience. I have looked at and handled Marlins and they are fine guns with a great heritage. I can see where people who have had long and happy relationships with Marlins would be loath to admit any dissatisfaction with them just as I am with Canon cameras or Volvo automobiles. But for a new shooter who would like a lever-action .22 the best thing to do is find owners of both brands who will allow you to shoot their guns and make your decision. If that is impossible then handle them at the store as much as you can and read any posts you can find online about them. Then when you make your choice you will know you have performed enough "due-diligence" to make an informed decision. Then, if the thing totally sucks, sell it and buy the other one!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #32

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars
Okay, I've looked all over my Henry Golden Boy and the only plastic I can find is the follower in the spring tube. I know the "brass" is a zinc/brass alloy over steel receiver parts but that is a long way from plastic! As for build quality; the one thing that all who inspect my Henry notice is the precision of it's construction and the solidity of it's feel. This is not just from gun people, but from neighbors and Lodge brothers who have no particular firearms experience. I have looked at and handled Marlins and they are fine guns with a great heritage. I can see where people who have had long and happy relationships with Marlins would be loath to admit any dissatisfaction with them just as I am with Canon cameras or Volvo automobiles. But for a new shooter who would like a lever-action .22 the best thing to do is find owners of both brands who will allow you to shoot their guns and make your decision. If that is impossible then handle them at the store as much as you can and read any posts you can find online about them. Then when you make your choice you will know you have performed enough "due-diligence" to make an informed decision. Then, if the thing totally sucks, sell it and buy the other one!
If the OP is near enough to me ill let them shoot my 2 39's and any of my 5 Henry's they choose. My 39's will be chosen as better weapons day in and day out

Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #33

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
One thing you might not have noticed about plastic is the fact that it deteriorates with age...
you just can't coat it with gun oil and keep it forever like steel...plastic will get harder with time, then start coming apart...
and there is NOTHING anyone can do about it...its just the nature of the beast!
The only way to make it last as long as possible is to keep it out of the sun, in a cool environment, and clean it regularly.
But it will eventually fail.

Great example, the "Soft Spot" on the Marlin 60/795/70 series are the plastic buffers...
which need to be replaced about every 20 years or so...quicker if you use Hyper Velo ammo...or leave it in a hot truck...

Same thing with the internals on a Henry...they will degrade over time...quicker than metal.

Most of you young pups won't keep a rifle for 20+ years...you'll move on to the next great thing...
but us old fogeys try to keep things forever...and we appreciate things that can be easily fixed, or those that last a long time!!

Not to mention those button-rifled Micro-groove barrels...if you take the time to mate ammo to the barrel,
the precision you will get from a Lever-action will rival that from a bolt-action...nobody but Marlin does it!!
Shrek, I own both Marlin and Henrys....I get it. However....I woud find it hard to believe that Henry is making guns that will eventually fall apart. I am nearly 50 years old and I can tell you that I have some things made of plastic since I was a kid that have not hardened or deteriorated to the point where they are brittle or do not work. We need to quantify saying plastic will deteriorate "over time." First....you have to speak to the type of plastic...some plastics will deteriorate in days some in hundreds and hundreds of years. The detrioration of plastic is directly due to its exposure to UV, extreme temp changes, etc. A gun even if used a lot will never go through these extremes as most of the time it sits in darkness in a dry gun cabinet. Metal likewise will deteriorate over time if not cared for. My point is I think sometimes we get wrapped around the axle about these things. A good quality gun taken care of will outlast many generations. Likewise a poorly built gun that is abused will not last...metal or plastic. I am in favor of "quality",but simply saying that metal = qualityand platic = less quality is IMHO a bunch of crap.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #34

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
If the OP is near enough to me ill let them shoot my 2 39's and any of my 5 Henry's they choose. My 39's will be chosen as better weapons day in and day out
Bottom line IMO--

Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #35

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Bottom line IMO--
Why thanks hoss. Your just trying to get in my good graces hoping ill let you into my........gun safes to shoot said Henry's and marlins

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #36

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Where do you live? PM me

Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #37

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Henry vs Marlin

We ought to include the Winchester 9422 in this discussion...!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 326 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Would like to see the outcome of that test. I grew up w Marlin 39A - 70s it was a nice gun and I regret selling it. (Accuracy fell off)

Year or so ago I went to Cabelas to "take corrective action" but the quality, fit, finish were not up to standard. Action was particularly bad. Henry's Cowboy version w Ocotgon barrel looked better but didn't match up w my memories.
Cablelas wouldn't let me shoot them.

Problem: those who have a good one - won't part w them.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #39

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Gonzilla I have all three.My 39 was bought in 1969, bought the XTR 9422 in 1984 and the Henry 17HMR 2008. I like them all. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #40

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Why thanks hoss. Your just trying to get in my good graces hoping ill let you into my........gun safes to shoot said Henry's and marlins
Just the Marlins