Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Henry vs Marlin (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/henry-vs-marlin-76421/)

rferguson61 11-15-2012 05:25 AM

Henry vs Marlin

My dads looking at buying a lever action .22 and has been looking at the Henry (not the golden boy). But i have been reading about Marlins and people seem to love Marlin .22s. So i figured id throw it on here for discussion.

Marlinman 11-15-2012 05:34 AM

Both are good. I like marlin 39's better than Henry's cuz I think fit and finish is better in the marlins as is the accuracy

gunsmoke11 11-15-2012 05:42 AM

The Marlin wins on all counts.

rferguson61 11-15-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsmoke11

Can you give reasons why?

beaglesam 11-15-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 1015127)
Both are good. I like marlin 39's better than Henry's cuz I think fit and finish is better in the marlins as is the accuracy

Agreed, but it should be Marlin 39A is $600 and Henry is $250.

winds-of-change 11-15-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 (Post 1015130)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rferguson61 (Post 1015190)
Can you give reasons why?

Yeah, I'd like more details, too. I have my heart set on a Henry Lever.

gunsmoke11 11-15-2012 07:50 AM

The company's been around for well over a hundred years, which has to amount to something and when their rifles are closely examined I believe the Henry's aren't equal. Just pick up each one and look at the wood and then the metal and then the fit. You can feel the difference holding it blindfolded. Marlin comes out on top and you get what you pay for. It's only my opinion and not gospel. I had a model 39A for a number of years that was great and 10 years ago I gave it to a family member who loved it and I know shot the heck out of it with no problems. My first 22 was the Crown Prince made in 1959 that I gave to my son and will soon be given to my grandson. They are very well made rifles that have been proven through history, but each person has to decide for themselves what they want. If price is the issue, then by all means go for the Henry.
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...ps21107a89.jpg

northhike 11-15-2012 12:57 PM

Ask a hundred people and you get a hundred answers. ;) I own both....I have a Henry Frontier which is fantastic (but then again I like lever actions) and I have a 982vs Marlin bolt action. Both brands are fantastic. Henry is known for its lever action guns and they are smooth as butter. Marlin is known for its accuracy and on their stainless steel models the action is smooth as well. Bolt or lever...you choose....its what makes you happy. If you went with either you would have made a great decision and both are much more accurate and reliable then the person holding them. ;) There is no "hands down" winner....both manufactuers have a great history of making quality firearms. The rest is pure opinion and sentimental memories. :D

winds-of-change 11-15-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 1015290)
Ask a hundred people and you get a hundred answers. ;) I own both....I have a Henry Frontier which is fantastic (but then again I like lever actions) and I have a 982vs Marlin bolt action. Both brands are fantastic. Henry is known for its lever action guns and they are smooth as butter. Marlin is known for its accuracy and on their stainless steel models the action is smooth as well. Bolt or lever...you choose....its what makes you happy. If you went with either you would have made a great decision and both are much more accurate and reliable then the person holding them. ;) There is no "hands down" winner....both manufactuers have a great history of making quality firearms. The rest is pure opinion and sentimental memories. :D

I have shot my Dad's bolt action Marlin and I don't really like working the bolt. Maybe if I practiced with it more I'd be okay with it. When I work the bolt it's jerky and awkward.

Trez 11-15-2012 03:47 PM

I like the Marlin Levers better, even more than Winchesters.

Marlins are the smoothest lever guns Ive shot. They have nice balance. They just feel "right"

Im currently looking for a '60's era 39 to match up with my 336... :)