Henry vs Marlin .22 lever action rifles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Henry vs Marlin .22 lever action rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Henry vs Marlin .22 lever action rifles

Which one is better and suggestions?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackthatsit View Post
Which one is better and suggestions?
Thanks
The age old question in the .22 rifle forum, I say Henry.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #3

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I dont know which one is better but I can say from owning one that the Henry .22lr is a very nice rifle. The Marlins are nice looking. I havent ever really looked at a Marlin 22lr lever action. When it came to getting a lever action 22 rifle I knew I was gonna get a Henry.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

The Henry,,,, so smooth. The marlins seemed nice but after holding and shooting the Henry golden boy it was all over.. Octagon barrel, beautiful

Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlinn View Post
The Henry,,,, so smooth. The marlins seemed nice but after holding and shooting the Henry golden boy it was all over.. Octagon barrel, beautiful
This....probably the most fun rifle I own. Mines the frontier model, blued with the octagon barrel.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've been lucky enough to shoot both.
the Marlin is IMHO a fine weapon. Most Marlins that I've shot or worked on were the older models. y'know when someone was given one as a teenager. they almost always required a detailed cleaning and minor trigger work due to the excessive rounds shot through them over their decades life. but once cleaned and serviced, they can't be beat. Not sure on Modern Marlins as the company was taken over more than a few years back.

the Henry rifle is a model of how one should be built today.

To me, the real different is that the Marlins have that old mystique and I would buy a used Marlin over a Henry if money weren't an issue. research the pricing and you'll see the difference.

if it were between two new rifles, the Henry would win.
Hope this makes sense.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Henry vs Marlin .22 lever action rifles

I have both and like them both. The Marlin 39 A has a fairly heavy 24" barrel. The Henry has a 18"Barrel.The Marlin is heavier and more accurate. The Henry a has a smother action. The longer barrel Marlin is quieter shooting than the Henry.That being said they both drop squirrels with ease and I use open sights.

I would suggest shouldering both rifles you will know which you like best.I have had my Marlin since 1969 and my Henry since 1998. Cliff

Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #8

My dad is getting into cowboy action shooting. He has talked about it forever. A couple years ago, NRA had there big show in Pittsburg. I took my dad so he could look at and feel all the different revolvers, shotguns, and lever guns that are used in CAS. In lever guns, we looked at Marlin, Rossi, Henry, along with a few others that had 4 digit price tags. Out of the Marlin, Rossi & the Henry; the Henry was the smoothest & most well constructed...hands down! We also agreed that the Rossi was smoother than the Marlin as well. In case anyone is wondering, he bought a beautiful Henry in .357 mag.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!