Henry survival rifle? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Henry survival rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR-7 Henry

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Owned a few AR-7 types of Rifles over the years, Dad had an origional Armilight, wish I could have gotten that, year past the Charter came out, I bought a few of those and had a few feeding issues, by the end of Charters first company close, they were pretty good!

Then, cam the Survival arms version, very owned one, sold it for a fellow at a show, seemed a lot like the charter!

Now the HENRY, not wanting to rain on everyones parade but the henry has certain key issues with it! First of all, it has a platic barrel with a steel liner, works, but near as solid as the charter alloy construction! Then, the fact the new type of magazie and it's housing in the receiver, at least the two I tried would not accept older Charter mags and most especially thr 15 round hi cap I bought and paid good money for? Yes, it could have been modified, but should not have to have needed that to fit and feed? Next, Look at the stock assembly, all is well with that, the Cap is solid, many are too tight, but will loosen in time? The real problem is the Thickness of the "Slieve" that the barrel will slid into, it's paper thin and mine tore the second time I put the barrel in? I sent it back to henry and the second one was just as bad, it did feed well, shot well, but it just was flimsey in how the barrel was housed? I know thats not a major problem, but enough to say all is not well with the Hendy AR-7, that coupled with non sowpable mags from Hi cap and older Charter and Survival arms models, I'd say Look at a used Charter first?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yesterday was Buy A Gun day in response to Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson's anti-gun rallies and I panicked and bought a Henry Survival/AR-7. It'll be nice to have a .22 and not have to even think about the cost per round, and my son will enjoy the heck out of it.

Can anyone name some sites or sources for add-ons and accessories? I like the looks of this Israeli version:

I don't care so much about the shortened barrel and modified front sight. It's the stock and pistol grip I like.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 AM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Yesterday was Buy A Gun day in response to Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson's anti-gun rallies and I panicked and bought a Henry Survival/AR-7. It'll be nice to have a .22 and not have to even think about the cost per round, and my son will enjoy the heck out of it.

Can anyone name some sites or sources for add-ons and accessories? I like the looks of this Israeli version:

I don't care so much about the shortened barrel and modified front sight. It's the stock and pistol grip I like.
there was a guy on this board that was selling a folding stock and barrel shroud for an AR-7 awhile back. I was considering it myself till I decided to get serious and buy an AK.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #14
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Just a quick update: I took my Henry/AR-7 to the range today. With Federal high-velocity jhp, there were no issues with jamming at all. I put about 60 rounds through it. Accuracy is pretty good using the (unadjusted) iron sights. 2" groups at 25 yards is pretty easy to get. The rear ring sight is enormous (IMO) and almost useless, so I'll be getting a red-dot sight or scope for it soon.

I'm pleased so far.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #15

Default survival rifle

I owned one 20 plus years ago, I'm thinking it had a nylon barrel, forgive me if I am wrong that was alot of gun's ago, but I do remember the rifle and it worked well for what it was, it was no tack driver but would feed you at reasonable ranges around 50 yards I'd say, If you do not keep up on the cleaning they are a jamomatic waiting to happen, I can't remember if I bought that thing at Sears or at the local hardware but I do beleave the were around 69-79 Dollars, I seen one at Gander Mountain the other day for 179.00 the good old days are gone!!! thinking back on it 22 cal bullets were only .99 cents a box.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #16

Default Scope for henry survival rifle

Looking to purchase scope for henry survival rifle, anyone have a suggestion?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Can't comment on the survival rifle but I can say from experience that the Henry rifles are very well built. And if you have any problems, the president of the company is just as likely to be who you speak to.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This gun was used by George C Scott in the movie "Rage" in 1972, so it's been around at least that long (of course that was before Henry started making them). It became popular for awhile after that movie came out. If you haven't seen it, try and get a copy...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
Joe

Default Charter Arms version

I bought the Charter Arms version at JCPenneys in the late 70's for $75. Thats how long they been around. The problem I had with mind was the magizine would not stay seated in place causing misfeeds. Only kept it a year.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #20

Default ar7"s

I have had one for over 30yr"s never had any trouble take care of your guns they will take care of you!!