Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Henry survival rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Henry survival rifle?

I'm considering purchasing a .22 Henry US Survival Rifle as an addition to my "urban survival kit". I understand that it's a vast improvement over the piece of junk formerly marketed by Charter Arms and even over the original Armalite version. Anyone have any experience with it?

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #2

I don't have personal experience with them, in fact I'm also considering buying one. From what I've read, however, the Henry version of the AR-7, which is what i believe you are talking about, is supposedly much more reliable and accurate than the previous models made under charter arms.

But, of course, you can't always trust what you read...

Old 08-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #3

Default More of the same

I just bought the Henry model but haven't been able to take it out and use it in real life situations much.

I bought it because it is good for what I needed. It's light and can store itself in the stock while floating in either mode. I wanted the gun for canoe trips in the backwoods. It's light weight, ability to float and to compact are useful in this regard. In more "public" or high trafic areas I can get it out of sight so others aren't nervous. It's built well enough that I can use it for grouse when in season.

I'm sure that you've read all the same things as me: known to jam but can be fixed with care. As with any gun the ability to make a gun light means certain parts aren't as strong as a heavier gun. Has no hardware for a sling although you can buy ones for it. Can buy after market stocks for it. Is said to be good up to 50 yds. The Israeli army used a modified version of the AR-7.

Most people who review it use it in the same capacity as me, a utility gun for camping and canoeing that can be put in a backpack and put together in 30 seconds.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #4

i owned one for about 5 years and its a good reliable rifle for its type, removable barrel survival style that is. its accuracy is accepatable that is, for surviving and supplying a staple of rabbit, squirrel and the like. just try different types and brands of ammo to determine the type it likes best, for the best accuracy. then buy a brick to keep vacuum sealed or i use a ziplock bag for the survival time. just my .02, good shootin and good huntin!!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got mine about when they first came out. Time flies but at least 7-8 yrs. More perhaps. All I can say is. I hope they are made better now. Mine would not feed properly and jam all the time. Played with the clips (a little bending here and there) and it helped a little. I haven't shot that thing in years. I beleive there are a couple others on the market.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #6

Default Let me guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounce View Post
I got mine about when they first came out. Time flies but at least 7-8 yrs. More perhaps. All I can say is. I hope they are made better now. Mine would not feed properly and jam all the time....
Was yours made by Charter Arms? Sounds like their work.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll have to check it out.I don't remember and it's down in my safe. I did send it back to Henry way back when. I think it was up in NY State. I don't think they even took it out of the box. It still jammed and thats why I worked on it myself. I was peeved and disappointed.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #8

Default Charter Arms Explorer

I have had one for about 20 years now. I bought mine from a co-worker who was having a terrific gun sale and paid $20 for it. The sale was held two days before he was to present the divorce lawyers a list of his fireams. He said he would rather give them away than see her get half :-)

I have never had a misfire with it and it is a tack driver out to about 40 yards, I never shot it beyond that. Loved the fact that I could stick it under my airplane seat as a just in case I needed it survival weapon. The hard part would be landing in the middle of the woods and still be in good enough shape to use it. Also took it on a lot of canoe trips.

My daughter has one too and kept in on her charter fishing boat in North Carolina. She switched to an AR-15 several years ago when the rumors of drug smugglers piracy where rampart. She figured that just the sight of her or her deck hand standing on the flying bridge with the M-16 look-a-like would be more of a reason to pick another boat. A good choice since she qualified expert with that weapon when she was in the Navy.

I keep it under the seat of my pickup now when driving around my property for groundhogs and mostly porcupines since porcupines and my dogs are not a good mix.

Know people who have the Henry version and it does seem to be a better firearm by reputation.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #9

$20. Wow.

Reminds me of the famous story of the $5 Ferrari.

Thanks. I think I'll get one. (the Henry, not the Ferrari...)

Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

20 yrs. ago? Wow! I didn't think they were out that long. I guess mine was just a lemon.